Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Chains - ??

Roy

Is there such as thing as a cross reference list that shows what size automotive tire chains fit what size lawn tractor tires? Would be good is such a chart existed since automotive chains are more readily available and generally cost less. Thanks,

I dont know about a list Roy but if it helps I use car chains that were just cut down to fit the tractor. I recently bought a newer set for 18" tractor tires for $36 from TSC. I dont like them and will never do that again.

I have used some car chains cut down over the years and also I have bit the bullet and bought a new set of chains 4 years ago for my snowblower tractor. The set I bought wasn't cheap, 60.00 but they had a cross chain every 2 links of the side chain. They were for 23x10.50x12 garden tractor tires. After having used the new chains I wouldn't go back to the car chains. In my use I see much better traction, and smoother going. With the car chains the cross chains are to far apart and the wheels tend to spin more as there is space on the tire where there is no chain in contact with the snow . With the 2 link chains there is always cross chains on the ground giving the tires less chance to start spinning. I have a pretty steep gravel driveway and since getting the 2 link chains I have not been stuck once while using the snowblower. For my use the 60.00 was well worth it.

Roy, I'm using car tire chains; I think they were for 7.75x14 bias ply tires (they're old - like from the '60's). They have been cut down in length a little and I added cross links to make them "2 link" chains. As Mike stated above, the "2 link" chains work MUCH better than the original "4 link" chains - especially for climbing hills.

Roy, I cut down a set of car chains to fit the 8.50 tires that I use on the 716H when plowing snow. I took the extra crosslinks and mounted them in between the others to put the links closer together. Almost any automobile chain can be cut down to fit the 8.50 tires. Last winter I go a set of V-lug chains from Dan (Rokon) to fit 10.50 tires. I have not had them on a tractor yet.

I had about 3 sets and some ods and ends of tire chains around her for a long time. Last winter i fitted/cut and made a set for my AC416. There half v-links and half regular car tire chains. now it is a 2 link set that work great. Just took a vice and a big chisle to pry the links open, and a hammer to close the link.

The general consensus is that 2 link chains work much better. Guess I'll start shopping for a set to fit the Sovereign and my spare set of wheels & tires. They are 23x10.5x12 & 23x9.5x12. From looking at tire chain web sites one set of chains will fit both tire sizes. Thanks to all,