Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carburetor Shield

DanD

I have used my new (to me) snowblower on my 7016 Sovereign for the first time and everything seems to work great so far. One question though. I see that there's supposed to be a shield that goes over the carburetor for winter use (Simplicity part # 177048). I thought that it probably wasn't a very important thing, but snow does get on the carburetor and then melt and refreeze, making the governor linkage stick. The result is that after you go through a big drift with the blower, the governor isn't able to slow the engine...or if you move the throttle ahead, then the engine doesn't speed up. It looks like that part is just a pice of tin and I could make something that would work if I'd take the time. Is that correct? Does anyone know if you can buy it new if I get too lazy? I suppose it's very expensive if it is. Does anyone have one in their junk pile? THanks

I made one out of aluminum that worked fine untill I bought one on e-bay. For me its a must have on my 7016. The home made one worked just as good just didn't look as nice.

Anyone have the auction number for ebay? I put in different combinations of Simplicity, carburetor and shield and came up empty when I searched ebay.

I have a handful of the 177048 carb shield, and the 174438/1665789 hood shield. They were pretty pricey when they were still available, hence the price for NOS/take off parts. I don't have a pic yet - this discussion just reminded me to go look for them and find 'em. See my ad in parts for sale. Thanks, Tim