Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

God Bless the Clevis Pin

Simpleton7016

For years, I had been screwing around with nuts and bolts when installing my attachments. Why? Because the previous owner had used them and I never got around to swapping them out. So every spring fall and winter, I would screw around with bolting and unbolting....sometimes garbaging up the threads, stripping the nuts, of course smashing my knuckles, chasing fallen nuts all around the garage, etc, etc, etc. Well that has all changed this year and going forward. I went to the local hardware store and cleaned them out of cleavis pins. I plan to use them for everything. the unfortunate thins is that in the seven years since my first 716H, I have made COUNTLESS trips to Home Depot, Farm and Fleet etc for who knows what. And though the purchase of clevis pins has always been in the back of my mind, I always forgot to pick them up. Without fail! Anyway, I plan to use them on everything I can concerning my tractor and attachments. I was wondering if anyone else uses them religiously? Also, since most of you have infinitely more knowledge and experience than myself, if any of you would recommend AGAINST using them for certain applications? Finally, if any of you can suggest additional or alternative hardward ideas that you routinely use that some of us have never though of? Basically, any creative ideas to make life simpler for me and others that either slipped our minds or we never thought of. Thanks and Happy holidays, Erik

Simplicity has used Hitch pins and spring clips from day one to attach implements.

155037 Hitch PIN 106788 Spring CLIP There are 3 or 4 different sizes of hitch pins

I now own three Simplicities, all different models. Without exception, the previous owners of each of them had nut-and-bolts used instead of the hitch pin/spring clip originally used by Simplicity. I always replace them with the proper hitch pin. Live and learn. Those crazy enginners at Simplicity have a reason for their madness. Tacey

I've always drilled a hole in the end of bolt to make a clevis pin when I didn't have one available. That and a cotter pin are quick, cheap, easy substitutes.

I learned with front mounted blade to put the clip to middle of the tractor or the tire and such could knock it loose, and I had the newer simplicity ones that are more U shaped. I ordered them from my Simplicity dealer To make sure I had extras, not much more expensive than the hardware store. I gave the dealer a hard time as they had to order them, as the last tractors that used them were not that old yet.

I always use the pins in all my attachments. About 3 months ago I found a bag of 100 pins and clips on Ebay. Got them all for $7.50 including shipping! I think that guy lost money on the deal. Lucky day.

I have always used pins. I make mine out of 3/8 Grade 8 socket head bolts. I cut the Bolts off at 2-3/16 long and grind a sharp point back about to where the grinding ends.Then i cross drill for a 5/16 snap over pin. Works great (Orangeone)

Sharpping a point on them works great. Been doing that wheather I make them or remember to pick up a handful of them when i go to the big city. Still need to paint them floresent orange along with the spring clips.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Still need to paint them floresent orange along with the spring clips.
Amen!! I try to leave the pins in place in each piece of equipment, so I always know where to find them. That is of course when I don't drop and lose one.

Sharpening to a point....now THERE is a great idea! Thank you, I am going to fire up the grinder as soon as I am alone with no wife or kids in the house.....probably April or so :) Likewise, I plan to leave the pins with the attachments rather than with the tractor so I don't lose them. Phenomenal ideas guys, Happy Holidays! Erik

Shoot, I thought I was the ownly one that made pins out of bolts,and sharpening the ends. Even so it sames I never have enough of them laying around when I need them. Ken

I only have half the amount I need, if only I could remember about them when I goto the tractor supply or hardware store every week!

Amen Patrick! I have suffered from what you do for 5+ years! It's called "alwaysforgettopickuptractorpins-itis"!