Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Tire Dismount - Bead / Sealant Story

Here is a story of dismounting old tires. This story may not help anyone but, it should give you a laugh. Because each of the (original ?) dry rotted front tires on my ‘78 7012 had slow leaks, I decided to install a new pair. First, I attempted the dismount the tires while the wheels were still on the tractor. When I had trouble, I removed the wheels. I tried all the usual methods of breaking the bead, plus soaking the bead with WD40, gasoline, water, lacquer thinner, and "Goof Off", and squeezing the tires in a vise, . . . without success. I took the assemblies to a dealer who has small tire equipment. The dealer couldn't break the beads. I borrowed some of the dealer's tire jigs and used my hydraulic press to keep pressure on the bead while I used tire spoons, screwdrivers, and finally a chisel and hammer. While I still couldn't break the bead, I did manage to punch the chisel through a wheel. Finally, I cut both sidewalls around the circumference of the rim, and removed the tire except for the beads. In the past, someone had used tire sealant which had cemented the bead to the rim. The tire contained "balls" of dried red sealant. Most of the "balls" were marble size, with one the size of a golf ball. I cut the bead wire with a hacksaw and chiseled most of the bead off the rim. Using a torch and wire brush, I removed the remaining chunks of rubber from the rim. On the second tire, I cut the sidewalls and turned the bead wire into a "toaster wire" using an electric welder. The beads "cooked" off without any damage to the paint. Considering the time required to remove the old tires, welding the chisel hole, cleaning, preping & painting, it probably would have been cheaper to buy new wheels. http://achs.home.att.net/tire.jpg

HPuck
Great story! I applaud your determination. Yeah it would have been easier to buy new wheels - but not very satisfying. You also probably learned some things that will come in handy in the future. I get the same way with small projects; the old lady says I'm stubborn and waste time and energy. I tell her I like to finish what I start. GT GT