Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering wheel Question

FastPaul

Hey guys Merry Christmas!!! The steering wheel on my ct-10 was on with the flat part to the back ,so when you have to open the hood you have to turn the wheel all the way. but on the litte tractor (Serf or yomem) The wheel was on the other way flat part facing forward, witch accualy makes sence, but all the pics of new ones show the flat part to the back. what is correct way?

I have both of mine on 'upside down' according to any pics I've seen in new lit.. Besides for the hood situation I perfer operating it that way. Maybe if I ever took one to a show I'd turn it around for the day.Maybe.

I believe that factory way is the two flat parts facing the driver. You just have to spin the wheel all the way to open the hood. Of course you can do it any way you like. It's your tractor so your call. Elon

So lets get to the bigger steering wheel problem: How to you get one off that probably hasn't been removed in its 40 year existance?

If your good with a torch ,1st make a two peice heat deflector mabey you could cut a big washer in half,this is so you don't melt the wheel 2nd heat up the collor under the wheel red hot, then cool it off fast with a cold garden hose this should work good luck

Not sure if I was just lucky yesterday or if it's a good trick but I needed the shaft outta a parts tractor B-10, dug it outta the snow at 10 below, brought it in the shop, center punched the center of the shaft and drilled a dimpal for the 3 finger puller tip, cranked it down HARD, hit the hub with fire wrench and off it came. Not sure if it helped having the shaft cold or not, there was plenty of rust under it.