Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
John_RI

Deck adjustments

JoeJ
John, My fathers, Agway mower was doing that, And be darned if it wasn't do to unequal air pressure in the rear tires. Was minimal difference, in pressure, but what a difference in the cut. Just a thought, but on that tractor there is no adjustment. Joe

John_RI
That's sure worth a look although in my case it would have to be the front tires as the front of the deck is supported by the front axle. I was thinking the problem was with the full width roller at the back of the deck but I suppose that if the axle is not level - the deck won't be either. I'll have a look -- thanks Joe. John(RI)

John_RI
Sorry about that Jeff. It's a 42" deck that came with a 725 - looks like a 990190 or 990407. I have a later model that has a height adjusting screw on each side but this early one only has the screw on the right side. The right side runs higher than the left & I wondered if there was somethig I could do to correct it. Thanks, John(RI)

Kent
I didn't realize it before but it seems the 32" mower for the 700/725 series did indeed come with only one height adjuster located on the right hand side. As far as I know ALL 42" mowers for that series came with adjusters on both sides. Anyway if the front tire pressure is even and if the blade tips do line up with each other then you can rig up some kind of spacer plate or washers under the roller support bracket to raise the low side. This would also involve drilling or elongating the bolt holes in the back of the mower to allow for the increase in mounting height of the bracket.

Take a look at the bail assy. The arms that come from the back rollers over the top to the front hitch, there should be turn buckles on one end or the other, you can adjust the mower at these points to correct your problem

John_RI
Thanks guys for all the help. Turned out not to be tire pressure problem (too bad - would have been easy to fix). I think I may just go ahead and add a 'height adjusting' set-up to the left side of the deck - there's really not that much to it. Thanks again for the help. John(RI)