Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rubber Tire Chains

eagle5473

Has anyone had experiance using rubber tire chains? I dont want to tear up my driveway, or mark up the stone walk when plowing. Any experiance good or bad?

Never used them, but I wouldn't think they would harm the pavement. You might also try ag tires. I'm not sure how either one would work on ice, but they should be gentle on paving.

Ag Tires and rims for same are out as they are cost prohibitive for my 720, the rubber chains, would be gental on my driveway and walk, i just want to know if they work before I layout the cash for them

I have never heard of rubber tire chains up to now. Are they rubber coated steel? What sizes are avilable? I had been looking for Ag tires for my Powermax also. Think I only found one company that had original size Powermaxtire. Never did find proper rim. However I do think there are other combinations that may work. I have a set of rims and tires off a Case that could be fitted with snow tires from a truck. Also ATV type tires will work. I (personally) think that probably no one has had experience with rubber coated chains, therefore unable to offer advice.

I have seen several sets of rubber chains on ebay, but again, no experiance with them. The shear torque presented to a tire chain makes me wonder how well they would hold up. Seems like the lugs would have to be quite large to have enough cord in them to be very durable.

For the price these are going for on ebay a regular set of 2 link ice bar chains are cheaper. I bought a set of 23"X10.50"X12" 2 link ice bar chains for half of what these 23"x10.50x12" rubber chains are selling for $114.99. Personally I don't think they would work very well other than on flat going or have a very long life expectancy. Regular chains don't mark up drive way or side walk unless you are spinning them. This is what I am using for cross chains. (0ne cross chain every 2 links of side chain) I haven't marked up my drive way yet and the tires don't spin. I all so don't worry about getting stuck or getting out of a places I shouldn't be in.

I like the idea of the ag tires with weight and possibly chains. i purchases a set of ag tires for when i till and use the johnny bucket for the traction. I fell in love with the tires and leave them on when i mow now as well because with the turf tires on hilly spots i would spin and rip up the grass. I think if you spend the money for a modest set of chains and have the weight on the machine you wont spin much if at all and wont damage your driveway.

MAYNARD, how dare you throw them chains on beautiful hood!!!!!!?:(] The Titan tru-power ag lugs I put my 4040 are i think, 29 x10.5 x 15. Could have put them on the standard rims but I wantted too keep both mounted up. Haven't used them in snow as with the blade on it takes up too much room in the shop and I really like plowing snow with the LL. Don't remeber what they cost me but cartting them through the Denver airport as luggage was priceless.:D:(

My father-in-law runs the rubber chains on his 7116H. He loves them. They do not mark up the driveway. They have lasted him 15+ years so far. The cross links sort of roll back and act like paddles, or scoops he says. I tried to get myself a set, but the local guy that used to make up the cross links died some time ago. The story was that the kids were fighting over the little bit of business he had. He started out making rubber floor mats from old tires then started the chains. I think they E-bay versions are being sold by a sponsor, but still seemed to pricy for me. I'll have to stick with steel for now. GregB

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
MAYNARD, how dare you throw them chains on beautiful hood!!!!!!?:(]
Thats the same thing I was thinking. I don't even think I'd set chains on my old scratched hood.

i used them before didnt work so good rubber is to slippery, .i fixed them by lighty dry sand them to get off the waxy top layer. work good for plowing a 7-9 in layer of snow at a time . should take it easy the first year.or find some sort of non slip rubber?