Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower

Ronald Hribar

I was on E-Bay last night and was looking at snowblowers.I saw several auctions for repair kits to Honda Snowblowers. The kit included new rubber paddles for blower portion and rubber pieces that fit on auger. I can understand the blower rubbers. But what would pieces on auger do? Provide uniform delivery to blower? I thought the posting from Dave in Denver with teeth on the auger had merit. Maybe both, the teeth to break up bank and the rubber on the auger to improve the clearance between auger and the housing.

I think a long while ago a member posted somthing about adding thick rubber to the center of the auger on his single stage blower. I think the theory was to make a better seal between the auger/impeller and the body of the blower. I think the purpose was to make the blower throw the wet snow better. Maybe another member can clarify what I remember, I know it was posted here along time ago because I saw it and tried it.

I'm not sure the auger would need much help as the influx of fed snow would simply take up the slack area. I to can see where adding it to the center would help it seal up and throw better. Too much rubber touching the outside I would think would heat and load the blower up from friction. Just a thought though as my snow blowing experience is at a minimum. Not sure about the teeth part. Never had enough snow to have a drift since I've had the blower.

I've added the rubber to the center section on several of my snowblowers and it definetely helps. The teeth on the auger would probably help in the snowplow banks on end of driveway where the snow is packed solid. The rubber on the auger puzzles me however. Like am I overlooking something ?

I can relate to that, the real wet snow that seems to want to pack rather than move. I'm going to try that.Probably will scare the snow away for the rest of the season

You know, I was going to ask a question about something similar to this a few weeks ago. Ronald, I see you are from Oconomowoc so you know that we have not had our REALLY heavy snow yet here in SE Wisconsin. However, the few snowfalls we have had, I was extremely pleased with my throwers ability to toss the snow a very long way. Once I got it operational that is. However, the snow we have had thus far has been the light and fluffy type. The problem I am referring to is the snow that gets blown all over the place from the sheer motion of the auger. A can not tell where the snow is coming from though. I will make one pass and the driveway will look nice and clean. But when I make the next pass to the left or the right, there is a lot of residual snow that dusts the driveway. It seems to be coming from near the bottom of the thrower (near where it meets the driveway) but I can tell. Perhaps it is coming from where the auger meets the body? In which case, a rubber boot might make sense. Anyone else have this problem with the blowing residual snow?

Thanks Maynard My head must have been up my a--. If I had tried sounding it out it would have been clear. And I do agree the rubber on the auger would be like a rotary squeege

Look at any of the cheap little 2 stroke blowers. they all have a piece of rubber on the auger. Another way the cheap little things cost you money. We have one at work for the side walk out front, After 2 years you have to replace it at the tune of $72, Because it will not throw the out of the shute.