Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Industrial vs. Non-Industrial Engines

I've heard for a while now a distinction made between industrial and non-industrial engines. The former being mentioned in the same breath with those having a cast iron block. Just what is the difference between the two engines? Are the industrial types typically made more stout or with better parts? I currently have two Onans, a CCKB on a Pmax and a BF on a Sears SS16. The Sears engine has an aluminum block and the CCKB is cast iron. Is the aluminum block Onan a non-industrial type?

Over the years internal combustion engine have been classed three ways, automotive, industrial and marine. This also includes air cooled engines. The lawn mower market uses all industrial. The engine with the cast iron block should outlast the aluminum block unit.

Bob - Thanks for the insight. So, tractor manufacturers, in the 70s for example and with Onan powerplants in particular, had a choice between using a cast iron or aluminum block engine? I assume the former was more expensive. Is this one of the differences you guys talk about between Sears and Simplicity tractors? Simplicity choosing instead to use the more expensive engines making it a better quality tractor?

Hi, In the Briggs family, the IC "Industrial/Commercial" engines had cast iron sleeves or liners in the blocks. The cool bore engines with the aluminum cylinders did not get that tag. I am not aware that Onan designated any either way. They always inplied they were commercial engines. All of their families. Kohler only disignateed it in the Command family as Command Pros. Different air filter and platinum tipped spark plugs from the factory. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by Al
...I am not aware that Onan designated any either way. They always inplied they were commercial engines. ...
Not sure I'm following. Did Onan produce both aluminum and cast iron block engines and designate both as "commercial"? What was the rationale in using one as opposed to the other?

HI, Onan always thought of themselves as a Commercial engine, and often people thought they were more upscale than Briggs or Kohler. Briggs also in later years called the cast iron block singles ICs, but not until later years. It was all a marketing thing anyway. Onan built cast iron and aluminum block engines, with liners. Al Eden