Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Mdl 6216 not charging

Paul: I have a 5216 (DA 616) built in 1986 with the Briggs 16 hp twin. The alternator is the dual circuit type, which produces two completely separate circuits. You can tell if this is what you have by two wires (one red and one black) coming from the charge coil under the flywheel and a white two pronged plug hooking up to the the tractor wiring. The red wire produces DC current to trickle charge the battery at 2-4 amps and the black wire produces AC current to run the headlights. The red charging wire also has a unidirectional diode immediately upstream of the white plug (will appear as a bulge under the heat shrink tubing above the plug) which prevents the battery current from running up to the alternator windings and shorting the alternator. First make sure the battery can still hold a charge when charged manually. If it is good, test the engine charging circuit by hooking up an ammeter between the red charging wire portion of the plug and the positive terminal of the battery. It should show some output at medium to high engine speed. If not, it is likely one of three things. A loose or shorted wire (either at the alternator, plug, or battery), the diode is no longer working, or the alternator windings. I would suggest you first check the wiring between the plug and battery for any shorts or loose connections (easiest possible solution first). If you can't find anything obvious, you will likely have to pull the flywheel and look at the alternator windings and connections. In some cases, the red output lead will be frayed, and can be easily fixed with some silicone and electrical tape. If not, you can inspect the alternator visually by checking for any blackening of the wires. If any are black it indicates that it was shorted (likely by failure of the diode to prevent battery current from reaching the alternator), the alternator will have to be replaced. You can also check it for continuity with an ohmeter. If you have to replace the alternator, I would suggest you also replace the wiring harness which includes the diode. Good luck. Pat

Hello: I have a 1987 16hp tractor. Recently, it has not been charging. Can anyone give me some tips on troubleshooting this problem? Thanks, Paul Cavallaro

The B&S twin clyinder repair manual will also explain everything you need to know. Anyone that does their own work should have their own proper repair manuals. They don't cost that much and you won't have to hope and wait for a timely reply. :)

You can also download complete parts list for all Briggs motors at the Briggs and Stratton website. These are the same ones dealers have used on microfiche for years and are very useful when you have a motor dismantled and are trying to remember what goes where. Also great for knowing which part number to order.

Thanks guys for all the great informantion. Tomorrow I will bring it in my workshop and check it out. Again my hearty thanks. This is a great club. I hope I can help you fellows someday. Paul