Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lonesome yellow tractor may need a home

Simpleton7016

Every morning, I drive my son to daycare and every morning for over a year I have seen the same garden tractor sitting in the same place in a yard near the daycare center. I do not know what kind of tractor it is but finally remembered to bring my camera. I think it may be a cub cadet. I took a couple of shots of it and will be happy to direct someone to the address if it is of interest to anyone. I have seen the owner mowing the lawn with a different tractor, so I think that the one in the picture has been abandoned. My guess is that the owner would gladly part with it (cheap), but do not know for sure. It has sat in the exact same position with the hood up for over a year. I would love to pick it up and tinker with it myself, but my wife would divorce me for sure. I am allowed one tractor and only one tractor....so I have been on a spending spree of late gobbling up attachments to 'trick' it out. But Ron, I know you are local and I think there are a few others who might have more understanding wives or none at all that may be interested. Just let me know. Oh, and I should apologize in advance if this tractor ends up being a non-Allis!

Thanks for thinking about me. But I'll stick with Simplicity. I've thought about selling on E-Bay but always decide not to. It may be a way for you to have tractors and make money also. All wives like making money.

Hmm, I've never seen a tractor sitting in any yard for that long without talking to the owners. never have had a grumpy additude come back and most often wind up shooting the breeze for an hour or so.

whoops, why did I think that a Cub Cadet was an Allis brand? My mistake, but somebody may still be interested in it.

Wish I was a few hundred miles closer. Homeless stuff has a habit of following me home. Cubs have a good return down this way. IMO thats all theyre good for. Taking the profit $$ and investing in the stuff I like. Thats the plan for most of the wrong colored junk in the yard anyway -

I dont know, Ive had a few cubs that were pretty tough. Model 70, and a 100 I dont think you could beat the drive trains on those. Rear ends and 3 speed gear boxes were very heavy. I would put the little 70 up against most anything. I used it to move a lot of rocks when I was jacking out the driveway to widen our parking spot. The 100 was a direct drive with no belts. It had a lot of torque. I know the newer ones are Junk. Too bad, when IH owned The Cub Cadet name they were real garden tractors. I think MTD now makes them. ddh

The old hard to find original Cubs were just as tough of a machine as the others (except for cutting non level lawns). Ive seen some nice ones at the shows. The red 582 series were nice to look at though much newer. What I was refering to were the common Cubs from the 70s and early 80s where, like Chevys, parts are a dime a dozen and easy to find. Its easy to drag a 128 home cheap, fix it, then make the profit. Common folks have the theory that Cubs and JDs last forever because of the name. Take advantage of that by all means. I have a $50 1250 out in the "lot" that even if I have to dump $200 into will bring back twice that because society is brainwashed. More money to put into the good toys. Plus, in the next two years we're planning to move out to the sticks where the real yards are so I'll need more orange attachments^

• 3 months later...
UPDATE: This cub made its' way to the curb and will likely be hauled away by the garbage men or some other handyman soon. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I can try to go grab it or give y'all directions on where to go get it. My guess is that the price is "FREE".

Joe Cubs are the "thing" around here too, but it's because until IH sold out the Cub line they were built in Louisville. Same with Fords. With two Ford plants here people tend to buy what provided their friends and family a living. Even though the Cub line has gone to flimsy sheetmetal frames and lightweight trannys they still sell 2-1 over all the other name brands.

Looks like a model 76 lawn tractor. If it was closer I'd get it for parts for my Spirit of 76.

Erik, I sent you an Email about the tractor and the possiblities of picking it up from your place.

I got into the Simplicity ownership from a tractor sitting at the curb with a sign "FREE" duct taped to it. Tell your wife that it was free, because it likely is going to be free, find a few friends who have strong backs and weak minds if you are going to load it into a truck bed, or find a winch and get it on your trailer. Old Cubs are tough, even though they all use a plumbing fixture for power. That fixture is totally rebuildable, and who knows? The owner may have decided it was too difficult to repair, and may only be dirty points! I am currently trying to buy an early Ford, basically for the engine, but, the current owner wanted to 'fix it up', but the guy at the lawnmower repair shop told him it was useless, as the engine was 'outdated', and sold him a Snapper a couple of years ago. I'd stop, look, and own the thing! My wife is on me constantly about the 'junk' in the back yard. Yours will get over it , too, if there is no money going out of her checkbook. What might be a simple repair job could make you a grand or so to put in her checkbook. Future tractors will be treated with new respect, then.