Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint

fireman

Hello, I am a new member to this site and a new member to restoring simplicity tractors. I have a 1963 725 and a 1964 Landlord that I am trying to restore. Does anyone have information on the original paint for these tractors?

There are no factory paint codes for these tractors. The closest color is Chevrolet red-orange engine paint. If you want an exact match, take a part of the tractor which has good, unfaded original paint, maybe under the hood?, and take to a paint store which use the computer match your color.

1969 ford paint code #1, color is called poppy. You wont get it in a rattle can but if you really want great results and know how paint you will be very happy with the finish product. Any auto paint store.

I agree with Maynard. Jim's tractor that I saw at GOTO in NY was absolutely beautiful. The color also matches the original color of my 61 Wards (the underhood color).

I agree guys, Jims paint job was one of the best at GOTO, and one of the nicest tractors I had ever seen. It's the way to go if you have the means. I really think it depends on how much time and money you want to spend and what you are going to do with the tractor after it is finished. If you want to go the spray can route, I used Alls Chalmers Orange from True Value Hardware for my 2010. It has two drawbacks: It can run on you if try to use heavy coats(I did three thin coats), and it has a longer drying time than most spray paints. Having said that, I thougth the finish and durability was better than any other paint I have used on previous paint jobs. I painted mine about four years ago and it still looks good, and I work my tractor pretty hard.

Thanks for the great imformation.I am A fair painter I think I will give the 1969 ford color a try. I hope to post the pictures of the finished product soon. I hope these look as good as others on this site. Thanks again for everyones help and a great site ,talk with you later.

Paint is made by ppg industries. The # on can is OEM:JDKAXXA F FORD DCC60449 H POPPY RED. The paint is a ACRYLIC URETHANE. Email me your # and i will give you a call. Jim.

Roy, If you're doing a Simplicity with rattle cans the Chevy orange-red #DE1607 by Duplicolor is very close, should be much closer than the AC paint which is really "persian orange" and probably more durable. I think wallyworld and most auto parts stores like autozone or Napa carry this product. I too have never seen a Rustoleum AC orange at any store.

Roy,try a store that caters to farmers.Around here,we have Tractor Supply,Rural King,and if I travel a bit,there is Blains Farm and Fleet.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I agree with Maynard. Jim's tractor that I saw at GOTO in NY was absolutely beautiful. The color also matches the original color of my 61 Wards (the underhood color).
It also closely matches the underside of my hood on my original 3112V... We took my hood off and compared it "side-by-side"...

I use Plasti-Kote Engine Enamel #200 Chevrolet Orange from (TSC) Tractor Supply Company). The color is almost perfect. It just seems dumb to use a high temperature engine paint on parts that do not get hot. Cannot find a suitable color anywhere else in town. Would be nice if Rust Oleum AC Orange was available in rattle cans. I tried the TSC brand AC Orange and it was horrible. It was thin, runny, and had poor coverage. Rust Oleum Orange works good but is the wrong color. Guess I'll stay with the engine enamel. Thanks,

Roy, I use the engine orange for my RBTs. The color we are talking about is basically a red - the color of the older FDTs.

• 4 weeks later...
allis chalmers orange and off white is still avaible at local agro-allis dealers in spray cans and quarts.also deutz-allis geen same as above.that is what i used to paint my 416 and 914 tractors.

When I sprayed the battery box on the 3314 with chevy orange-red 1607 I couldn't tell where I stopped. That's an area where the sun don't shine so that's what I used on the badly faded outside.

Hey members, I've been trying ACE Ruststop Allis Chalmer Orange. Almost perect match to my original paint. Durability should be good. But shipping my hood to Jacksonville Florida for a flame job! My son works for A&B Body Shop and they do every from remote control cars to big rigs. dewayne