Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel Filter ?? Thanks guys

MPH

I'm using one of the small clear auto type fuel filters on the B112. Replaced the old one today, it had done some filtering, but still can't maintain over about 2500rpm before it acts like it run outta gas. Could the problem be the fact that auto systems run under pump pressure and I'm under gravity feed? Not sure what the cause was, tried to blow out onto a clean paper towel, didn't see anything. The float was set a bit low so maybe that was it. The old one ran fine on it but maybe it was burning enough oil to make up the difference:D Glad it wasn't the gas cap, never had one of these I could read before, thankyou Bruce of N. Pole

Thanks for all the quick input..and Happy NewYear to you all

Have you checked the Tank and made sure you have a constant flow of fuel??? If the Tank is above the Carb. it should run without a pump...

Marty, I've had no noticeable lack of flow useing several different types and brands of filters. I'd go back and check the flow from the tank first. Could have dislodged something in the tank while it was apart. Then pull the main needle from the carb. and see if you have a good flow there. Most likely a piece of trash in the inlet of the carb above the float needle, or a piece of flake trash blocking the main jet.

Used a nice clean tank I got with my haul from Bruce last Aug. but I suppose there could have been something in it I didn't see or come out when I rinsed it with clean gas. Recon I'll be digging at this tonight instead of putting the hood and snowblower on.:( Thanks guys, least I can feel the filters not the problem as thats what I been using on all mine. Thought maybe I just been getting away with something.

I can't think of any way to ring in the new year other than working on a tractor. Trouble is my wife doesn't share that thought like I do so with the kids and her I try to do as I'm told. lol It makes my life a lot easier.

What about your fuel tank cap. Is the vent open. That drove me in circles for a couple of days. With it plugged, the engine was always starving for gasoline.

There is a screen on the fuel shut off valve that is inside the tank. It may be pluged. I had one give me fits most of the summer before I figured it out. I removed the screen from the shut off valve and haven`t had problems since.

Kent had a post a while back about using automotive fuel filters.Personally,I've never had a problem with any of mine,but he said he ran into problems using an automotive type filter.

I tried using a clear automotive filter on my HB-216 which has a brand NEW gas tank that I bought, so little/no chance of a clogged screen. It would starve for gas at full throttle, full load, mowing up the steep hill behind my barn. I switched to one of the little cheap lawnmower filters and the starvation problem went away. The only way I can explain it is the difference in restriction of the filters.... My 2 cents. Your mileage may vary....

Is this a rebuilt engine? fairly new?, They seem to need more fuel till broken in good. I also have had problems with an auto filter and more so in the cold weather although yours is indoors right now. Hopefully the problems is solved with the float adjustment.

Try it without filter, if it runs okay it is filter problem, if it doe not run okay than either fuel delivery or linkage problem. I tend to agree with Kent and also the filter inside of tank.

My experience was similar to Kent's. My son got a fairly high dollar automotive type filter and it would starve out. After fighting carb settings and checking everything out multiple times, I bought a Briggs inline filter and it has run like a champ every since. (note: these are directional filters and must be installed in the proper orientation) Now with that said, it does not exclude the other possibilites listed above, but for a couple of bucks it could sure shorten the trial and error cycle.

Maybe next time I go to 'the city' I'll pick me up a stock of Briggs filters. I don't think this engine has many hours on it, it came off a quick start generator set up for const. equipment. Still has good hatch markings in the cyl wall. I have no screen in the fuel pipe, I might have had something dislodged when I took the old one off I guess, did that after I rinsed the tank out and put this set-up on.

Was running good last nite after resetting the float, gonna try to get the blower on today and go play in some of this month old snow I have layin around.:) Hey John,(Oldone) check out that lift handle on there:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Maybe next time I go to 'the city' I'll pick me up a stock of Briggs filters. Was running good last nite after resetting the float, gonna try to get the blower on today and go play in some of this month old snow I have layin around.:) Hey John,(Oldone) check out that lift handle on there:D:D
Marty, if the problem persists, you might try turning the filter end for end. From the picture it looks like the normal inlet side is nearest the carb. The design of the filter, the inlet allows the fuel to flow into the center of the filter, then flow through the filter material to fill the outer bowl area and then feed into the outlet to the carb. I could be mistaken but from the photo it looks reversed. Might be worth a try anyway. :) BTW.. you've been so busy in the garage, we haven't seen any "weather" pics or thermometer shots. How is your weather since we have been getting nothing but rain since right before Christmas? No snow left to play with :(

I'll double check it Mike but I think I put it on with arrow pointing the right way, least I intended too. Nothing much too post about our weather except I been enjoying the fact that the coldest since I been home from Ne. has been about -20, not picture worthy. Lots of low pressures blowing up the gulf of Ak which used to mean snow, but ain't had none of that in at least 3 weeks, that was about, maybe, an inch