Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-112 Hood ??

MPH

Went out under the blue tarp, under the snow, robbed the headlight brackets off of my other B-112 as it's got a LONG way to go to be a tractor again. Put them on after painting and now the front two hood bolts miss by about 1/3 hole. The brackets hold the hood up. Any clues in the right direction to keep me from modifing. Thanks

Picture I guess is at the wrong angle to show the problem real good but you can sorta see how the hood sits on the headlight bracket. Holes were all predrilled, also may have to get a one inch longer pipe for the muffler.

Maybe apples VS oranges,but my 2110 has similar headlight brackets,and the hood sits about 1/2-3/4" above them.

Looks like you clear the mufler a lot better then I do also Kenny. Thinking I may have to extend my muffler and drill lower holes.

Marty,it's been a few months since I've had mine apart.Is there a way to adjust where the hood bolts go into the bracket on the grille assy? I remember a bar going across the back of the grille,with the caged nuts on both ends,to bolt the hood to.Maybe a way to raise that bar?

Went out and loosen the brackets, got about a movement downward, took off the hood and forced the speedy nuts to the top edge of the hole, put about a 2 inch extension on the muffler and just barely got the hood, but with all 4 bolts. Get a few other project caught up on may have to meditate on how to make the hook flip up without hacking anything. Bolt on hood, dumbest thing Simplicity ever did. Thanks for the pictures guys, nice too see how it should fit On yours Paul, the hood looks like it notched or dented for the bracket, which is what I was hopping to avoid doing.

Marty,look at Ray's, His brackets are straight up and his hood clears fine, Look at mine they are leaning forward ,being straight up seams to provide more room

Marty, As I explain the bolt on hood to my John Deere and Craftsman owning friends, the hoods on our Simplicity built tractors only need to be removed once a year to check the cooling fins and spark plug, not every week as they must do. Happy New Year, Jim

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
.......may have to meditate on how to make the hook flip up without hacking anything. Bolt on hood, dumbest thing Simplicity ever did.
Marty... I seemed to remember someone in here do this before. I saved the pictures on my computer for future referance but not the text. Doing a search here, I found it again and lo and behold it was our very own ARCTIC ENGINEER - MARTY! :I8D:D:):I I notice the application on the front of the Landlord is a little different than on the Allis B series. Will look forward to seeing what you come up with this time so I can finally do it to my B110. For those who might have missed this previous post and want to check out what is being discussed, here is the link. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=42111&SearchTerms=hood

Rather than notch the hood, can you stretch the mounting holes in the headlight brackets? How much room do you need to gain?