Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Higher HP vs BGB durability

AC808

Am i correct to assume that if I install a higher HP motor (50ish) that the bgb wont be stressed UNLESS I do more work than was intended to be done by the tractor? Im hearing conflicting ideas of what the reslt of more HP would be...Thanks for any of your thoughts

If you don't over stress the tractor with the added hp the only thing that would be a factor would be the weight of the new engine vs the old engine. But becarful because the new engine wouldn't sound like it was working when the old one would.

What good would it be to put that kind of power in a tractor and not use it?? Do a search on bgb's in the archives. There's lots of info and discusion on this in threads past.

I heard somewhere that the Simplicity drivetrains were designed to take 50 Hp. From what I have seen, I am wondering why you would need that much on one of these machines. I have built pulling tractors that weighed no more than one of these large frame tractors with 85 Hp under the hood. Too much power for daily usage. Touchy to drive unless hooked to a pulling sled. It doesn't matter on a show tractor, but you "can" get too much power for a usable work tractor.

Oh, i realize that i can have TOO much power..BUT im a huge fan of the VW aircooled motor and would love to hear one while im mowing! :-) Im not planning on pulling with it..possibly just mowing or cruising to town...

I don't know what the BGB will handle but the weak link in the tractors is the tube axle/differential. I know a puller that stated stock and worked is way up with the same tractor (AC716), the tractor worked fined with about 40hp (Pro Stock). When he upped to Super Stock (about 50hp) he could not keep the tube axle in the tractor. He then went with a Cub rearend. Keep in mind these are single cylinder Kohler engines and the tractor is under a constant and heavy load. I have broken a tube axle, differential, and a solid axle pulling. Most of the damage was in the first few months of pulling. We have been pulling since 1998.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Jay, Just find one of the old 36 Hp motors and it won't hurt a thing. :)
I have one of those..its in non-running condition...Its more of a novelty in my collections...I love the oil filler that is cast as part of the case!