Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lift Rod makings

MPH

Out of 3 or 4 lift rods laying around I didn't have one long enough for the snow blower with out taking the one off the 36 in. So, I got my 5/8 rod stock i bought a couple years ago.

hadda turn one end down to 1/2 inch

Fire wrench help to bend it

railroad rail to get sq corners. Had to do a little filing to get round again but wasn't too bad

Drilled two pin holes in the ends, hit with the wire wheel and gave it a quick dry paint job while still warm

Could have been 1/2 in shorter. had the blower up on a 2x8 block when I took my measurements but only raises 5 1/2. Forgot to calculate for sag I guess.

If you add extension on lift arm you can raise snow blower higher. I put longer lift arms on both sides of tractor, and lift with nylon rope to top of auger housing. Sometimes it is very helpful to be able to lift blower higher to get out of trouble.

Marty Looks good, I'll tell ya one of the best tools that I have ever spent money on is the "fire wrench" it comes in real handy when making stuff like this. It feels like alaska in Boston this am, just getting up to a few inches fo the white stuff.

Marty, I like your style. So far I have made all of my own lift rods. Guess that is because I have a Sears snowblower, and Wheel Horse and Bolens snow blades set up to use on my Simps and ACs. Hey, cheap attachments are cheap attachments. These other brands have to be good for something. LOL

Looks great Marty. I heard so many talk about bending there lift rods, when i made my lift for my adapted blade i used 3/4 and turned one end in the lath to 1/2. Then welded a plate and a 1/2 bolt on the other. A lot like your, it works well.

I think it was Dan or someone who posted pictures of the snap together link belts. These are make-your-own type for use in emergencies. Surprised that Marty doesn't have stock in the company that makes these, considering how far he is from a large city.

I'm only 3740 miles from my belt supply guys, I get them in 4 days, I drive DODGE products:D Have finally gotten smart enough to keep a spare Simplicity belt on hand. Went through NAPA belts too quick at 16 bucks a pop

OK, I just gotta ask. Whats a "fire wrench" and how do you use it to make such a tight bend in the rod. Bob

Sorry Bob. Think our tractor brother JoeJ got me started on that. liked the name so it stuck. He's been a welder all his working life I think.

I think "fire wrench" is a little more understandable than what I call it. "blue wrench", based on a blue flame. Guess that is a local thing in this area. Maybe I am just wierd. Who knows?