Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 2 Cyl. 16 HP Question........

LesH

Has anyone had any experiences-- good or bad with the Briggs 16 HP 2 cyl. Model 401417 aluminum block engine (made approx. in the late 70/ early 80's.) I am thinking about repowering with one. Thanks and Have a Good New Year!!!

If it is a vangard. I have had good luck with mine. I starts and runs good. I had a hard life when I got it (it rarley got any mantainace, sat out in the weather, and I don't think the guy ever missed a tree or fence post when he was mowing with it) so it smokes a little, But have had no problems with the engine over all.

LesH , There is no way the enging that you have is a Vangaurd. They are V- Tiwn motors and were not made back in the 70's . Your motor is a twin 180 dreg opposed. All of my tractors get Vangaurd replacements when the time comes to rebuild.

I agree with orangeone, I had a 180 opposed briggs in mine, It had a hard life before I got it, I had it overhauled, but it never ran the best, under a load it was fine, but no load it sputtered a little bit, and I could never get it to come out no matter how much I tried to adjust the carborator. Tried a carberator kit and that didn't really help much, I used it like this for 1000 hours, then replaced it with a 16 horse vangaurd, EXCELLLENT engine!! My old one was also a 16 horse, and this vangaurd has twice the power but its the same horse. The 180 opposed engines are ok they always started for me, but the altinator went out and the coil went out, the thing burned alot of oil, and it leaked really bad! Sure it had 1000 hours on it, but my dad has a vangaurd with that many hours, and it doesn't burn or leak any oil, and it still has lots of power and everything works on it. My 2 cents.

Hi Les !! I have an opposeing twin 18hp. briggs in a 912 ac. I love it, it has enough power to take off fingers when cleaning out snowblower spout. Yes that really happen to me. It was a year ago today. Lost two fingers and half the use of my thumb. Any way I have had good luck with this motor. I have a sloped yard. no problem leaking oil or burning oil. I guess you could say I got lucky with this one.........Dave

They seem to work Ok when taken care of. Like stated keeping the cooling fins clean is a must as these frequently die from valve seats popping out from overheating due to plugged cooling fins. I picked up three of these, a 16, a 14 and a 18hp in Junk Ranch King riders last year and all ran without burning alot of oil. They all leaKed some here or there though. Mostly around the pan gasket. I usually stick them in 5000 or 6000 series Simplicitys that need engines.