Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Defing Gravity

MPH

Spend most the day splitting and dropping about 1 1/2 cords of wood down in the basement. While I was doing it I wittnessed the holding power of old snow as I took wood outta the pile. Thought it looked cool enough to share. Ready for the splitter

the splitter, after the fact

thought this was pretty cool

just got better as I went

Down the basement woodshute

28 wheelbarrow loads later, about 6 hours time with one derailment, resulting 6 week security 'blanket'

1st half cord stacked in

That wood is doing what my bones do in that temperature they get stuck, lol. What kind of wood is that? It kinna looks like pine but theres no bark. Was that part of a burn that you salvaged? I recon it gets hot when it burns and thats the kinna wood you need.

Great pictures, even the one of the old fashioned spliter. Looks like you had your dinner cooking at the same time.

It's mostly Aspen i cut out in the burn area last year. Been mixing in about 10 percent homegrown spruse I been collecting from various clearing projects. Like having a pot of red/black beans brewing on the wood stove all winter. Throw in some onion, garlic hamhock and whatever else cross my mind at the time. Ready in about 2 days, if it I don't screw up and let it dry out and crustty up on the pan bottom, keep feeding it for a couple weeks. Get my act together and make some cornbread one of these lazy winter days.

"Do you play any computer games in the off time?" Guess I kinda put those with TV Leroy, I ain't old enough for theat yet. Too much I wanna do yet.

Marty I have lived where it was mighty cold. Great lakes winters in the 1950's through 1975 and all i wanted to do was warm up in the winter. While my experience with that weather assures me that your pioritys are likely health, heat, food & water. Beyond those needs is there anymore time for wants? If there is or is'nt i understand where digital or analog amusemants are in relation to life in the north.

Beyond those needs is there anymore time for wants?" Of course there is Leroy, there tractors:) and hibernation so I'm ready for the sun. and getting everything caught up that one ignores when there's outside things to do. Guess i just haven't gotten to the point of needing to entertain myself yet

Great pics Marty! I'll bet that wood splits a lot easier than our nice twisted grain elm, ash, and hickory we haev around here. Even they seem to split easier when it is colder. You get that nice sharp crack sound when you hit it with the armstrong splitter.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
I like your self portrait Marty.
I was thinking the same thing. Glad to put a face with the name. Was beginning the think Marty was like Wilson on home improvement, only with Marty all we got to see were his hands :D8D:) Now i would need a wide angle lens to put mine in there 8):(8)

Paul, haven't built a splitter yet for a couple reasons, one being that maul weighs the same as the hammer I swing at concree stakes in when working, at my age, it hurts too bad to go back too work if I get too soft during off time. Another reason is if I had a splitter I'd have an engine running and even the sound of a cast iron briggs breaks 'the sounds of silence' it's nice out in the yard when you don't here anything, lot of the reason I live here. Used to burry several wedges in that elm when I lived in Ne. Mike. This aspen normally blows apart in one wack but it don't have the heat ash or hickory does. If I'd have a Cummis and a 16ft heavy duty trailer I might be at my sisters farm cutting up a large pile of ash pushed down by the county to re-open a creek for flood control. "Beans and working on the wood pile,doesn't get any better than that!" like the way you think Dave. That's the only stove I have in the house Dave. have another one for my welding shed but haven't gotten walls on it yet, haven't convinced myself to use claw hammer and skill saw yet since i got off work. Gotta get over the smell of sawdust first.:)

paul, on the other side of that wall is the orginal basement. Dug out with a backhoe before I added on what is now the bedroom late in the fall first year I built. Got the 3 outside walls, built on it then later that winter I was greedy for more room so I sholved and picked and carried rocks up the stairs in 5 gal buckets about 4 feet back in the center, then slid concrete bricks down a plank to build the wall with. 6 years later had the rest of the then house backhoed under and had a full basement. Homesteading. do it as you can, pay as you go. "is that your grandpap holding that maul?. JH" I wish