Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mistery holes, what are they good for???

ridgerunner

While bolting the wheels back on today I noticed three holes in the right fender of my Big-Ten. Hadn't payed attention to em before but there was something bolted to it before. you can see where the paint is rubbed off by each hole from the bolt. What bolts up here that uses these holes??? And if you have my pieces I want them back.:D -Paul

With flash

With out -Paul

Hey Paul the holes are for a pulley gaurd I'm doing my B-1 over, got me wondering too, Went and looked at mine ,here's a few pics.

Looks like your missihg the pull start pulley to

Got me curious, hadda go look at my stash. My 64 LL has one, the 725 does not, the Blue B-1 does, the orange B-10 does and the Nice looking B-10 I got in aug does not. Forgot to look at the seat pan off the half B-10. Never noticed that piece before. One more pice to look for on a completly restored tractor.

A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks Paul. That rope starter pulley, are they rare or fairly common? Now that I see it I'd like to put one back on it. -Paul

ridgerunner, The rope starter pulleys are relatively common. My 61 Wards (Simp 700) has the rope start pulley, which has come in handy many times when the battery got too low to start the engine. However, it didn't come with the pulley guard. Guess that was added later. I don't see the belt retainer cover over your front pulley either. The clutch will not properly release without that in place. Note the one in Fast Paul's pictures.

The 700's do not have that guard nor would I suspect that an early 725 would have it either. I've had at least one 725 pan with one and my 63/64 LL has it as well.

quote:
HubbardRA Posted - 01/06/2006 : 12:58:23
quote:
I don't see the belt retainer cover over your front pulley either. The clutch will not properly release without that in place. Note the one in Fast Paul's pictures
I've never had any problems with the clutch not releasing, creeping while in gear or jerkyness. Sometimes I'll get gear clash when switching to a higher gear. I assumed the guards were there (not the one on the fender but the ones that go around a pulley) were there for when the belt goes slack it won't pop off the pulley. There more than this? Whats there real purpose? -Paul

As a young pre-teen (11 going on 16) and not having a drivers license, my neighbor buddy and I drove our garden tractors to each others place, about 1/2 mile down the country road. We packed trailers with camping gear and pulled them back into the woods for our camping trips. We put more miles on driving than mowing. 8D I had a 700 Simp and he had a Wheel Horse, can't remember the model. This would have been around 1961-62. Anyways, getting to the point of the discussion here on the guard. The 700 being an FDT, as we wouild "drive" through the pasture on the way back to the woods, I would sometimes let my feet dangle at the sides. It only took one time where some weeds or grass caught my right foot, pulled it back under the seat where the starter cup took a nice gash out of the back of my leg. We bought the 700 new, so I know that it did NOT come with one of those guards. This is the first time I even was aware of them. Would have been nice to have back then B)