Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Clutch question

D-17_Dave

With the talk of the manual and electric clutche's in the past. I just got a greene tractor for parts and was wondering if the elec. clutch off the 341 Kohler is the same as what AC/Simplicity used on their Kohlers? I guese the real ? is will the clutch off the Deere work on our tractors?

Dave, I don't have any direct experience with the electric clutch you now have. However, I spent a bunch of time learning about them when searching for a replacement electric clutch for my Homelite T-12; on the A/C built Homelites the mower deck drives from the front in addition to front mounted attachments. Besides the obvious shaft diameter/keyway fit and field coil mounting corectly, the main issues are the diameter of the pulley and the projection of the pulley from the engine face (or other reference). My Homelite electric clutch measures 5 3/4" OD, but the belt rides fairly far down in the grove so that the effective diameter is about 5 1/4". I believe this diameter is the same as the manual front clutch Simplicties (based on the fact that both the Homelite and Simplicity snowblowers had 7" driven pulleys). I don't remember the offset from the front of the engine, but have some drawings from Warner Electric of the clutches they supplied. The offset needs to be close to the original spec so that the belt rides in the correct path. Hope this makes some sense and if you need the dimension, or want a copy of the drawing, let me know. It's been a couple years since I did the research.

I've got one off of this 316 Deere I've parted out and before doing the e-bay thing I wanted verify what all it night fit. Would rather offer it up here to a club member before haveing to deal with e-bay. My dilema lies in I don't have much exsperiance on the RBT's with Kohlers so I'm not shure what works. I'm sure it's close, but this isn't house shoes.lol

Hi, The other thing that is critical is the shoulder on the crankshaft. We have to make a spacer for the rotor in the clutch when we put the Commands in the Deeres. This is very important, because the rotor coil clearance relationship must be exact. Too much and it won't pull in relilably, to close and it rubs and destroys the coil. This is not the same as the air gap which is adjustable. Al Eden