Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cab Heater

dcw06

After reading Al's post about the Sunstar cab heater. I had to give it a try,cardboard,duck tape and an old shop vac hose.Its not warm enough for shirt sleeves, but it does put out some heat.If I find another old hose I'll put it on.If nothing else,maybe it'll keep the frost off the windows.

Looks good. Be carefull of it drawing some exhaust in with it but your probably open enough under your cab for it not to be an issue. BTW, A small fan inside the grill would really push the air in.

Hi, I would think a larger dia hose, or some furnace pipe like 6 inch would be more effective. Would let a larger volume of air up. Al Eden

I agree, a larger hose would probably work better.I was thinking maybe flexable 4" dryer vent,but the wife got home before I had a chance to pull out the dryer!

quote:
Originally posted by dcw06
I agree, a larger hose would probably work better.I was thinking maybe flexable 4" dryer vent,but the wife got home before I had a chance to pull out the dryer!
LOL they seem to reck all the good ideas!!! :D:D:D Elon

Every little bit helps. Would there be any restriction of cooling air to the engine with just those two small hoses? I know it's cold outside, but I was thinking more of a problem with uneven cooling.

John,I dont think that will be a problem.It pulls air in from the backand both sides and the bottom are open.I found some more hose and a fan today,so next weekend it will be revamp time.So far no money spent just time.

Nice set-up but the potential for carbon monoxide leaking in SCARES me.What size and make are those front tires?

I don't know if they will move enough air for you but I believe the fans on computers, both the powersupplies and cabinets are typically 12V. They might be small enough to handle what you need and are probably pretty effecient.

Eddie,the tires are 16x6.50x8 Carisle X-Trac.Have'nt had them in the snow yet to see how much they help. Rick,a computer fan crossed my mind but the only spare one I have at the moment is in the wifes computer! I'm going to get a battery operated carbon monoxide detector and keep it in the cab for a while.

Dave or anyone, if you need a fan or two, let me know, I have some and I can get a decent supply of them.

Does anybody think that a closed circuit with a fan would supply enough heat. If you simply had a closed box (preferably metal) on the grill side and insulated somehow on the snowblower side with the pipes circulating the air. This would eliminate the possiblity of CO intrusion, but may not heat fast the air fast enough in the loop. These tractors aren't worth getting sick over or possibly worse.

I think that if you run the exhaust out far enough, you should have no problems with exhaust fumes. How would they get into the heating system?

Had to go to town today,something I don't do unless I can't get out of it.Stopped at my favorite hardware store and bought flexable 3" dryer vent and elbow.First try I installed it on the right side,still not much air flow.So took the box off and started the tractor,found the best airflow was around the left headlight area.Then I installed the elbow inline with the headlight hole.

This works,lots of hot air.

Only two things left to do.Made an extension for the exhaust and installed my new headlights.

I like your air flow testing tool8D looks like your getting full flow rate inside your cab too. That flex drier vet hose is some pretty handy stuff to have around, I try to keep one new piece around just as inventory.

Great job! I think with a long-enough exhaust extension, there will be no CO intrusion. I LOVE the lights! What kind/brand/price are they? Are there also lights at the back of the cab? Same kind? Do they all come on at once? Thanks, Peter

Good idea. That works real well. But then it is easy to research and build something, when you have all that proper sophisticated testing equipment.;):D:D

1. what is nylon rope for ? 2. what did you use for hose fitting at headlight? 3. What kind of car in background? I'm thinking 63 Ford with Buick rims.

Hey there,just got back in from my weekly run to Pa.First off,doesn't everybody have at least one drawer full of special testing equipment and duct tape? The lights on the back are rubber mounted from Tractor Supply.They were on the front.Some body had a post not to long ago about some lights they from got from Auto Zone and mounted in the grille.They looked like they did a good job.These are the same,except round.55 watt halogen,I think.I needed lights on the back to see the blade and I almost backed over the split rail fence once last winter.Since I don't use the lights in the hood with the blower,I have them all connected to the headlight switch. Ron,if you are talking about the rope in the cab,it holds the rod for turning the blower chute.Did'nt like the idea of having to stick my arm outside to turn the chute.So I made it longer and ran it inside,took the holder bracket off and added the rope. The hose fitting.For now the elbow is just tye-strapped to the box from the inside.Have another vacation day tomorrow and a few different ideas floating around in my head on that part.The car,1978 Cougar.We bought it 1996 when our oldest got his license.Says he will never get rid of it! Still waiting for some snow to check out the tires.

Finished it up today.Got rid off the test box and went straight to the left headlight.I just cut the elbow so it would bend flat inside.Used the headlight mounting studs and a couple of large washers to hold it in.

Still has great air flow into the cab.