Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs "Syncro Hump" differences

D-17_Dave

In another post Rod asked me about what to look for in the differances on the Briggs blocks. So we could referance this without hijacking the other thread I thought I would share what little I know here. I've always noticed the rear external houseing that holds the syncro gears on a 12 HP engine. It's a little hard to see in my 2012 but this style is uniform all the way around.

The rest of the engines, what I would consider 14,15,and 16 HP have the front cover like the one pictured below. It's housed under the flywheel and supports the stator.

I realize I'm by far no expert, and this is only my observation. I've only seen these engines in this form so if there intermixed vertions I'm not aware of them.

The only engines with the second synchrobalancer I have seen thus far are the 12 and 14 Hp engines that MTD and Simplicity used till around 1972 or so.

Thanks for the post Dave. I have not had the flywheel off any of my engines, so I don't know what is under there. I know the 10 is flat on the grille side and does not have the piece that you show on your 12. I'll try to get the chance to check the 13 and 16 this evening. Maybe get some pictures. Back with you later.

I should have mentioned, none of the 10 HP engines I've seen have any extra balanceing on the cast iron line. I have seen later model 10 aluminium block engines did. I suppose we could referance some type or spec numbers and see how they corospond.

Since I have one on the bench with the shoud off I took a pic of the 16hp I just took outta the B-112. The pto end is flat like an ole model 23 but heres a shot of the flywheel side. It is a 1972 model according to the shoud.

What was the purpose of having two sets of synchrobalancers? Yes, out all my CI briggs above 10hp, my 12 and 14 have it on both sides, the 13 and 16's have it only on the flywheel side. I have not had a 15 yet, saw one once but don't remeber it too well.

I picked up one marked as a 14hp with a P.T.O. balancer housing the other day from a Sears/David Bradley. 320421 0129 1970 manufacture Ike

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
What was the purpose of having two sets of synchrobalancers? Yes, out all my CI briggs above 10hp, my 12 and 14 have it on both sides, the 13 and 16's have it only on the flywheel side. I have not had a 15 yet, saw one once but don't remeber it too well.
The purpose was a much smoother running engine. The ones with two balancers dont vibrate as much as the ones with just one. I sure notice the difference between the two types.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Ike, that's thee same # that is in my 3314, made in 1970. Does yours have the id tag behind the S/G also?
I didn't notice any tag, my numbers are on the blower housing. This engine had the low mount s/g that looked like a sears add on. It had a large bracket with 2 oil pan bolts securing the bracket and 2 going into the side of the block. There is an odd heat shield around the carb/muffler area. Also the air filter housing is shorter than the later engines. According to the numbers this was a rope start engine. Ike

Ike, Your engine sounds exactly like the one on my 1971 Sears Hydro-Trac Suburban. The shield is to keep heat away from the fuel pump. Mine also had the older type air cleaner.