Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is correct battery for B-10?

GWGAllisfan

After reading the posts and trying all the on-line battery selectors, i still can't tell what the right battery for a B-10 is. Is it a type 22, which I don't seem to see anywhere, or a type 51, or will a high CCA lawntractor battery work (tractor supply has a 350 CCA one)

The correct battery is a type 22NF (meaning non-Ford) specifically, which has the posts reversed from a normal type 22. The 22NF is pretty hard to find... A type 51 is easier to find now than a 22, and will fit in there with about 3/4 inch of extra space down the length of the battery. A type 51R has the poles reversed from a normal 51 -- that's what the R means. Going from memory, I think you have to swap battery cables to use the normal type 51, while a 51R will work as is... but I may be backwards -- since I've bought one of each. IMO, you won't be satisfied for long with the smaller batteries... but then you live in a much warmer climate... I buy my Type 51s at Walmart, and they're not much more expensive than lawnmower batteries.

I been happy using DieHard Gold garden tractor batteries in mine. Replace the first one I bought for the 725 I think 6 years ago. it spent the first two winter of use sitting outside under cardboard.

Just go to most any auto store and tell them to get one for you. My Simplicity dealer still carries them in the shop or I can get them right off the Interstate truck when it stops at the garage so they are still made. They cost a little more but to fit in the holder proper, expecially in a RBT, I buy them.

You can tell you guys live in farm country, where they still stock tractor batteries... I think the 22NF was only used in tractors.

Does the B10 have a larger battery mount than the Simp 700? I use the 51R batteries im my 716H and 713S, but a 51R will not fit my 61 Wards (Simp 700). The battery is too long. In fact the clamp that holds the battery in the Wards fits a standard garden tractor battery perfectly. It clamps on the sides of the battery and is a snug fit with a garden tractor battery from Wally World. Problem is that garden tractor batteries won't last but a couple of years.

Rod, I think the B-10s have the same size battery mount as the 716s and such. It's the older 700/725 (and Allis B-1) that uses a different size. I'm not sure what fits in a 700/725/B-1 battery tray, which is turned crossways as I recall...

Thanks Kent, I was thinking that they didn't go to the large battery tray till they started making RBTs. Not the first time I have been wrong, won't be the last. Haven't had much direct experience with the tractors between the 700/725 series and the Simp7000/AC700 series, although these seem to be what most people have, other than me.

"Problem is that garden tractor batteries won't last but a couple of years" Keep telling you Rod, DIE HARD gold. The one outta 3 I had to replace was over 5 years old.:)

The last 22NF I bought was about $30. It may have only lasted a year. I need to try charging it. I rarely find a tractor that is still running the larger battery in it. Usually they've been converted to a lawn tractor battery. I have had pretty good luck with most of them, can get 2-4 years out of them.