Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front tires - Snow hog vs super lug

sunrunner

Looking for something other than Turf - Saver in the snow for my front tires - 15x6.00x6 on a 4.5" wide rim(I think)stock for a 6218 - found some Snow Hogs and Super lugs around the same size - What do you think? - Chris

Chris,I just put a pair of Hogs on my 6216.Had to go with 15x5x6.Also put on a pair of Carlisle X-Trac on my 7016.I like the X-Trac a lot better,and they are the same price for the same size.

chris, don't rule out tri-rib fronts. I use them on mine and wouldn't trade them for anything. I've also used snowhogs and I like the tri-ribs better. just my 2 cents worth. jeff

Did some searching and the x-trac seems to fit my needs - Would like to try some tri - rib if I can find the right rims....Chris

You will be able to mount the 4.00-6 tri ribs on the 4 1/2 inch rims. You might want to use tubes to make seating the bead easyer.

After using 3-4 different front tires to improve the steering. I tried a set of tri-ribs. I like them so well that I leave them year round. They are the best .

I have two sets of tri-ribs. 3.50x6 and 3.50x8. I would not use any other tire as a replacement. I just wish they were made in the 6.50 size. The smaller ones don't really fit well or look right on the wide rims. On my 716H, I used a set of narrow rims from a 710 to mount the 3.5x8 tri-ribs. On the 61 Wards, I used a set of aluminum mini-bike wheels to mount the 3.5x6 tires on. Tri-ribs have the best side-to-side traction of any tire I have owned. I run them year-round. Just have to watch the sharp turns. Since they don't like to slide sideways, they put some pretty good grooves in the soil if tractor is put into a very sharp turn. They also leave grooves in soft soil. I can put up with this. At least when I turn the steering wheel, the tractor will now respond, even in mud and snow. An added bonus is that the tr-ribs just look so darned good too!

• 4 weeks later...
I have never found a set. I have heard rumors of them, never could find them though. I think most here (who I too have copied) find older skinny front rims and mount them up that way. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of what the skinny tri-ribs look like on a 6.5" rim...

I bought a set of mounted tri ribs on e-bay. They have bushings rather than bearings. Use original set collar to hold in place. They look great. Alot better than same tires on wide rims.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like the wrong color tractor guys have found some wide tri-ribs! Firestones from Miller Tire. Don't run me off the board for posting these links, lol. http://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/4/4.html?1140948508 http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org/discus/messages/6/95169.html?1140990802

I checked the Miller Tire site for tri-Ribs and they have a tread type A $25.85 made by Carlisle and a tread type B $65.00 made by Firestone in Vietnam both have 4 plies. Type A's outer ribs are more aggressive and maybe better for year round use. Other than that what is the difference? and which is the better tire?[img]/club2/attach/nubian/typeA.gif[/img][img]/club2/attach/nubian/typeB.gif[/img]

I am guessing the Carlisle is like the following instead of the A above? I had a Dynamark with those front tires on it - they liked to slide around alot, not too useful. But I am just guessing from looking at their website and tryin to figure out what they actually mean. This is my first attepmt at putting in a picture here so lets see if I have as much trouble as everyone else...

I called Miller Tire and they said it was a mistake type A is not made in that size and only type B was available.

Thank you for cruising other sites and finding the fat tri-ribs at Miller Tire! I just called them and ordered a pair! They're a bit pricey, but as a local auctioneer likes to say, "You've got to find it before you can buy it." I've been interested in a set of tri-ribs, but wasn't all that keen on mounting the narrower tires on the wide rims. Problem solved, and all I had to do was throw money at it! Darryl

Darryl, Please post a picture of them when you get them mounted. I would like to see those tires. I didn't know they were ever made in a wide size like that. I sure hope they are a true tri-rib, and not a turf rib. I need to replace some of the wider tires, and hate to have to find another set of narrow rims, in order to install tri-ribs.

Rod, here are the pics from the IH site, the link changed on us. The JD site I mentioned above is still there, but there are several pics of unmounted tires. A little more aggressive than a turf rib! :>

Amazingly, the fat tri-ribs arrived today from Miller Tire. I ordered them yesterday! We are in the same state, but that's still fast. What the picture doesn't show is how heavy these tires are. They are more like a tractor tire in small diameter than a garden tractor tire. The max. rated pressure is 28 psi. I'm not even going to try to mount them with the usual tire irons and lube. I'm afraid I'll bend the wheels trying to pry these things on and/or hurt myself in the process. I'll take this job to a local tire shop with a small tire changer and let them wrestle them on. Unfortunately these are destined for the Ariens S-14 I'm putting a loader on instead of my 914. I think this is the right tire for that application. Time will tell. Darryl