Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bonehead Moves

After spending some tractor time (not wrenching but actual time behind the wheel) this afternoon I finally had an opportunity to solidify a few bad habits and create a few more. Here's my list, not necessarily in order of dumbness. Please feel free to add your own. Since I'm a newbie with things tractor I'll most likely find my way to them anyway. Leaving the parking brake engaged Leaning over to pick up a rock, etc. without getting off the tractor Engaging the control lever (hydrostatic) while not sitting on the tractor Forgetting to engage the parking brake, which usually brings me back to the first item on the list

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roy

• MPH

• tec2484

• Simpleton7016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting the engine up after the oil change only to immediately remember I forgot to put the new oil in it.....

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Starting the engine up after the oil change only to immediately remember I forgot to put the new oil in it.....
Ooooo .... almost a big ouch!

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
What is a parking brake? :D:D
I havn'y found one on either of my tractors. But I here it is the thing that stops you from going when you want to.:D:):D:)

I do the leaning over to pick things up all the time and your saying it's a stupid/bad habit , How dare you,LOL Here's the habit I do the most - Using a fuel cutoff when done and forgetting to turn it back on when I go to start it the next time. Atleast I remember before I tear the thing down now. Next - Not filling up the gas before I start using it and run out of gas before I've made two trips around the yard.

In prior years, I would always forget to hook the rubber hood tie downs. Then, when I would plow the snow down the driveway, the hood would pop all the way up when I hit the bank at the end of the drive! every single time!

quote:
Originally posted by tec2484
quote:
What is a parking brake? :D:D
I havn'y found one on either of my tractors. But I here it is the thing that stops you from going when you want to.:D:):D:)
I think when they say "parking brake" they mean the rock or brick you stick under the tire to keep it from rolling:D

Trouble shoot an open starter wiring circuit for an hour, only to find when you lift the seat pan, that the two prong plug slipped off the neutral start switch, GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

"Leaning over to pick up a rock, etc. without getting off the tractor" are suppose to step the clutch in when do this? Gee, guess I'm bad, I'm always reaching down to pick up rocks, esp when disking, pick the big ones outta the next round and heave to the woods. Forgetting to turn the gas shut off on is all too common. had my first go-a-round with safty switches on the 3314. Remember I said in another post the switch didn't work in the start position, well, day later I remembered seeing this gismo under the seat pan when I took the picture, jumper wire, now the switch works. Gismo's, think it'll get spliced together.

For all you folks from West Virginia, a parking brake is a rock or piece of wood you put behind a wheel to keep a vehicle from rolling. For everyone else a parking brake is a device to lock the brakes so your vehicle will not unintentionally roll. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

My brake pedal seems to just be there for something to rest my foot on... if I fixed the darn thing I would have the give up that luxury... no way....

Some friends and I were driving another friends WD45 around my yard...It died...We spent 1.5 hrs working on it..still wont start...had plenty of fuel,spark and air...so we thouhgt...finally figured out that the glass fuel bowl was full, but there was NOTHING in the tank...And we consider ourselves motorheads...

For you Roy, I was over to a friend's house (here in VA, not back in WVa). Walked past his truck, then his trailer. Nice parking brakes on both. Two 4x4 blocks tied together with 3/8 nylon rope. To set parking brake, put one block on each side of wheel. To release brake, grab rope, jerk blocks away from tire, throw in back. Simple, reliable, and easy to maintain. What's so bad about that? We ain't got no cotton bales to put in front of our wheels, like you folks in Tennessee.;)

Not tractor related, but could be. It may have been the funniest incident I have ever witnessed. I was in St. Louis doing some work on ovens at the Anheuser-Bush plant. My boss called home to remind his wife that she needs to check the oil on the Suburban before she takes it our and add if she needs to. She called back to the hotel and hour or two later and said she added the oil, but something is still wrong with the truck. He asked, how much did you have to add? She said she filled it up. He said "what do you mean you filled it up?" She apparently replied "to the top". My boss had a temper tantrum in the Hotel Room like I have never seen before out of a full grown man. She filled it right up to the top of the filler opening! :)

" Two 4x4 blocks tied together with 3/8 nylon rope." You boys get pretty fancy back there. Thought your suppose to go over to the wood pile, split a good sized piece into quarters and use two of them.

quote:
For you Roy, I was over to a friend's house (here in VA, not back in WVa). Walked past his truck, then his trailer. Nice parking brakes on both. Two 4x4 blocks tied together with 3/8 nylon rope. To set parking brake, put one block on each side of wheel. To release brake, grab rope, jerk blocks away from tire, throw in back. Simple, reliable, and easy to maintain. What's so bad about that? We ain't got no cotton bales to put in front of our wheels, like you folks in Tennessee.;)
Rod, that's "standard flightline equipment" in the Air Force. They just bevel the top edges of the 4x4, and call them chocks... They're required to be used ALL the time the aircraft is parked, even on a level flightline ramp or parking pad. My wife, a maintenance officer, was given one all painted up with stenciled unit designation and decals as part of her retirement ceremony... signifying "permanently grounding herself".... Only problem with chocks is that it is a two person operation -- they must be placed and removed while someone else is at the control....

Try starting a old broadmoor pull start when its in gear and your neighbor is driving by. You look like a real idiot chasing it across the yard,

When I forget to fill up I have to walk back a 1/4 mile usually it happens on the far side of the 8 acres, I forgot to latch the rubber straps on the new tractor and when doing the deep ditch I go straight down to the bottom and stop, the hood didn't, but I did, and then there's the time at the other end of the ditch at the culvert I got too close to the edge, I jumped off like a twenty year old and watched it roll over and finally stop You guessed it I bypassed the seat switch, nothing like three blades on a deck spinning in the air to get the juices flowing, not to mention the neighbors driving by wondering what the heck kinda contraption was sitting next to my driveway.