Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

716/912 compatibility

Simpleton7016

Wow, i posted a "parts wanted' ad this morning and within an hour, offers started coming in. The most convenient is a that has a 912 parts tractor just a few miles from me. Are the hood, seat deck and dash compatible with my 716? My machine is a great runner but it looks like hell! So I want to take some time to paint up some panels to swap out onto mine. I hope they will just bolt on. Anyone? Thanks in advance, Erik

Dash and seat pan should be the same but the hood I believe is a few inches longer. you could always go the other way and have a 916.

There's an idea. Are the 912 and 916 identical other than the motor? Can I simply bolt the 16 horse Briggs from my Simplicity 7016 into the Allis 912? What about attachments? Will my mower deck, snowblower, lawn vaccuum, tiller, etc fit without having to make any conversions? Thanks, Erik

The blower will use a different hitch and belt if you use the center ptoon the 912 but you can use the hitch and belt from the 7016 with the front clutch on the 16hp engine. you might have to use the key switch from the 7016 depending on the type of ignition the 7016 and 912 have. Otherwise evething else is the same. 912 - 916 same tractor 4hp difference.

Sweet! I do use the front PTO. Best of all, this may be just the excuse I need to start building a collection. I.e. if I but a "parts" tractor, that might serve as a loophole in the "1 and only 1 tractor" clause that it written into our wedding vows. I will go look at the tractor and if I buy it, I can say to my wife...."sheez, all this tractor needs is a new engine and it will be nicer than my old one". Among you diehards, what is the more desirable tractor, the 716 or the 916? Erik

Keep, in mind the 912 probably had a Kohler battery ignition engine. Your 7016 B&S is magneto. You will need to change the key switch and some wiring changes. Other wise the 16hp B&S will drop right in. Also the 912 (if it is a later model) may have the rubber coupling drive shaft instead of the flex disc. But I don't know any reason why you won't attach to the Briggs.

Isn't the shaft from a briggs longer due to the thickness of the rubber mount? I would think you would need to swap the shafts too. However, I'd definately go for the 900 series tractor.

This might help.....we did an engine transplant a couple of years ago in a 912-H that had a blown Kohlerxx( http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=28934&SearchTerms=Topics,started,by,MDB We were able to put the front clutch from the Kohler onto the Briggs with out much trouble, drive shaft was no big deal either. we did have to do some rewiring though.....

Assuming that my plan works and I convince my wife that buying a "parts tractor" is a wise investment....and this tractor is as nice as it is billed to be, maybe I am better off just buying a different engine for it. Sooooo, my next question: how much $$$ can I pick up a rebuilt 12 HP kohler for? Can I throw a 16 HP Kohler in it without too many modifications? I will try to go take pictures of it tomorrow and paste them here. I am getting your disease guys. And I know that once I get my wife to agree to 2, numbers 3 and 4 will be easier! Woo hoo!!

Erik, yes any of the Kohlers will drop right in, including the 16. The only other issue is the exhaust/muffler is different on the 900/7100 series vs. your 7000 series. Hope it comes with the exhaust. You can even drop a twin (KT17, KT19, M18, M20) in the tractor with a little cutting on the frame rails.

After useing a 16 HP of any brand, don't think for a moment that you'd be satisfied w/ a 12. Sourceing a 16 Kohler would probably be a little more exspensive than a Briggs, but you'll probably be pleased with the results of either brand in the 912, should you get it.

Just so you all know....after a few drinks at her company Christmas party tonight, I told her I might be buying a "parts" tractor. She agreed! Woo Hoo! I will look at it tomorrow and take/post pictures. I agree, i want to drop a 16 horse in her (the tractor that is), but still am looking for a price estimate for a used/rebuilt engine. It will go a long way in me deciding if it is worth it to try to pull a fast one on my better half! hehehehe. I told her how much time I would save swapping out attachments if I had a "summer" and a "winter" tractor. She seemed to agree....but then again, she did have a few wines. Pictures forthcoming....I know how you all cherish pitures....I do too! Woo Hoo!!

Hi Erik!! I have a AC 912 Thats been repowered with an 18hp Briggs opposing twin. The motor bolted right up, but I did rewire the switch,lights etc.. I'm working on a CH 22 Kohler and putting it into a 7018 tractor, So far all is working just fine. That 22 kohler I bought at an auction for $60.00 dollars it was locked up, timing gear was broke inside. I have also bought that 18 hp. Briggs from a man in Penn. for $450.00 Shipping to Iowa was$55.00. But the again I bought a 16hp Briggs In Tenn. for $100.00 still coast $50.00 to ship. Just have to look around,and keep your eye's open. Good luck...!

Despite an excellent opportunity to expand my collection - or should I say, start one - I had to pass on this 912. I looked at it this morning and it is very nice. Very very nice. I just can't justify tearng apart a running tractor to put a good engine in this one. Picture attached below. I wish I had an engine laying around to throw in this. If anyone has one, I may be interested. But still an awful lot of work for me given the 20 or 30 minutes of free time that I have per week. :) If anyone is interested, let me know and I can give you his contact information off line. Real nice guy with a superb collection of Allis tractors!

"after a few drinks at her company Christmas party tonight" So tell me Erik, when you play russian rollet, do you put 5 or 6 rounds in your six shooter???;)