Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winterizing Kit ??

HubbardRA

Today, I came up with an idea for a winterizing kit for my 716H, just in case it snows here in VA. Here are a couple of pictures of what I have done so far.

After a little cutting, it fits very nicely, is held on by the hood, and will not even need mounting brackets. I still need to make a plate to cover the original air intake hole in the Craftsman engine shroud, and fill the small hole on the very top. Of course a coat of orange paint (which the tractor also needs) would make it look much better. So much for using some off-brand junk laying around the garage.

Looks pretty slick Rod. Can't help but think you have too much time on your hands though, making this INCASE it snow way down south there.:D:D

Marty, We usually get a few snows down here. Not much last year, so we are due for a good one. We get 6 to 12 inch snows every 3 or 4 years. Biggest snow I have seen in the 32 years I have lived here is 21 inches from a single storm. You're right, I probably won't need the blower any time soon. I just want a complete set up, in case. Do I need my sicklebar mower on my 1/3 acre lot? Do I need a moldboard plow and rototiller, when I don't raise a garden? Anyway, I also plan to build an electric spout rotater for that snowblower, next.:D:D:D

"You're right, I probably won't need the blower any time soon. I just want a complete set up, in case. Do I need my sicklebar mower on my 1/3 acre lot? Do I need a moldboard plow and rototiller, when I don't raise a garden? of course you 'nned all those items Rod, just like I need 14 tractors on my place. Reason you need them is for enjoyment

Lookin good Rod. I'm holding off on putting the blower on the 620. I don't want to scare off any potential snowfall. lol I'd rather see 6" on the ground then drag it in the shop to fix it so I have an excuse. Maybe one of these days I'll get enough to justify putting the cab on.

Good idea, although that first picture really through me for a loop. "What the...[:0]...you can't do that to an engine.......":I:p:o)^

well here is my 416s I did last spring it took me about 2 months to do, rebuilt the kohler 341 had to resleve new piston and rod. uaed ac orange & almond colors.

Rodney, can you post a picture of your entire tractor? I kind of like the color scheme and have not seen that before. Is that a Deutz?

I'll have to go out and take the picture for you, Erik. No that is not a Deutz. It is an AC716H. When I first put it back together, I painted it all black from spray cans, just to prevent rust. My wife hated it, so I went out with some teal spray paint and put the stripes on the hood and painted the engine shroud, just to aggrivate her. She knew it should be orange, not green. Been planning to restore it with an orange paint job for several years, but haven't gotten to it. This is my primary work tractor and I just haven't been able to take it off-line long enough to do the restoration. Wanted to do that this winter, but have been tied up with my son's Eagle Scout Project. Also, it is still a work in progress. Just put the hydrolift on it last summer. Still need to change the rockershaft in it to make the rear lift work opposite the front. Also, if you noticed the lift rod on the "left" side of the tractor, that goes to a Sears Suburban snowblower that I have modified to fit the AC. Currently I am working on an electric spout rotater for that also. Of the three running Simp/AC tractors that I have, only one has the correct orange paint job, and that is the 713S that I built from a pile of parts from different tractors.

Erik, Here are the pictures you asked for. First a picture of the tractor.

Next a picture showing the mounted Sears Suburban snowblower.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Ambler, I wasn't even going to mount the blower this year. A couple friends kept bugging me till I did. They said according to Murphy's Law, I had to mount it to keep the snow away. They also said that if I wanted snow then I needed to take the blower off and sit it outside for the snow to pile up on. Still need to change the rear wheels. Those 26x12x12 turfs won't do the job in snow. Can't put chains on them, and with those offset wheels the tires are wider than the blower. Got to go back to the 8.50s with chains for snow.

:) I actually kind of like that paint job! Did it work in its' goal to aggravate your better half? hehehe