Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 912H

Simpleton7016

Well, I think I am having a change of mind. I think I am going to buy the 912 with the blown engine afterall. It really is clean and since I am not in a hurry, I can sit around until an engine pops up. The question then becomes, which engine I should target to drop in her. I am most familiar with the Briggs 16 horse. The easiest thing to do would be to find another Kohler and swap them out. Maybe the easiest thing to do would take what comes my way and/or falls in my lap. However, I do plan to use this tractor primarily as my "summer" tractor for mowing and use with the lawn vaccuum. It does not have a rear lift, so the tilling responsibilities will fall on my 7016. Or maybe I should get another tractor for that! :) I was wondering if there is a difference in the Kohler-vs-Briggs debate depending on what season the engine is primarily run? It will be used infinitely more in the summer and will run hotter so my guess is that the Briggs is preferrable. Also, will the amount of horsepower help or hinder the mower deck and factory lawn vaccuum run more efficiently? Maybe drop an 18 or 19 in there? Ah, so many decisions!!!

The more HP you have the better off you'll be. As for the season debate, the only differance I can see is you'll probably spend most of the season looking for a replacement engine for the replacement Kohler if you put anything less than a 16 back in it. Now that your used to that much you won't be satisfied with anything less. There are some other things to consider. You already have 1 Briggs so if you get another you'll basicly "learn" more usefull information whitch will apply to either engine. ie, if you have a problem w/ one and fix it then you'll know what to look for on the other. Or you can get another Kohler and learn about a whole separate set of potential problems. I have my preferance, but this is your tractor. Decide for yourself then look for the deal. Since your in no big hurry something will pop up.

I won't be 8) like Dave put a 16hp Briggs in it. I'd say the 16hp should do good for mowing, I rarely hear the gov kick in on mine and it was very tired. More hp=more gas burnt.

The Briggs 16 should bolt right in, the drive shaft needs to be changed and a few wiring changes unless the briggs has a starter and charging coil.

I'd definitely go Briggs 16. I have a couple scrounged from "junked" non running Sears and Gilsons. I wanted to see what shape the latest acquired engine was in so I removed head. Minimal ridge & scratch free standard bore cylinder-well within spec but I would probably put new rings in. I cleaned/set points and timed armature-was amazed at how slow the flywheel needs to turn to fire plug...I bet it would start by hand turning the flywheel [:0]! Unfortunately the carb is full of the white deposits...But bear in mind this is a 36 yr old engine removed from a scrap tractor. This is pretty typical of my Briggs experience....easy & cheap to ressurect. I guess I have been in the wrong places at the wrong times but all the Kohlers I have tried to bring back to life required a healthy rebore and crankpin regrind-your results may vary. The Briggs don't seem to bring the price of the Kohlers do, probably because the Kohler is the darling of the tractor pulling guys. I did know a guy in FL that had a nice 16 Briggs from a yazoo on ebay that did not sell-I have his phone # if interested. Ike

The scrap block pile behind the shop is three times bigger on the Kolher side than on the B/S side. I repower with B/S Vanguards.

Point well taken about the Kohler engines. But is their reputation as bad even for everyday use? I would never be burdening it with anything other than lawn mowing and or snowthrowing responsibilities. I think I know the answer already, but a few of you (very few) have defended the Kohlers. Just wondering if maybe perhaps they are run harder by the 'pullers'.

How bad is the 12hp Kohler, can it be fixed? Don't rule it out unless the cam shaft side is busted out. If it has a hole in the other side, weld her up and rebuild it. As far as Kohler vs. B&S....I have both and like both, I am also a tractor puller. No doubt Kohlers work best for pulling. Briggs are more fuel efficient and better luggers. And I believe they have a better oil splash (dipper) than the Kohlers because the Briggs had less problems with side hill applications.

quote:
Originally posted by elhekkers
Point well taken about the Kohler engines. But is their reputation as bad even for everyday use? I would never be burdening it with anything other than lawn mowing and or snowthrowing responsibilities. I think I know the answer already, but a few of you (very few) have defended the Kohlers. Just wondering if maybe perhaps they are run harder by the 'pullers'.
Erik, I really don't think Kohler is a "bad" engine, I run one on my 7014 that is fine. IMHO the Briggs is a better choice but as a mechanic by trade we tend to have strong opinions .....like I make the wife warm the car up in summer ;) To further cloud the issue with facts, the K series Kohler has way more aftermarket parts support and used parts out there because more of them were made. Ike

Erik A 16 hp Briggs is a good choice...but if you get a good deal on a 14 or 12-Get it. Im not a Kohler fan..but if you get one of those cheap id sell it and get a Briggs... We also need pics of this machine!

quote:
Originally posted by B.Ikard To further cloud the issue with facts, the K series Kohler has way more aftermarket parts support and used parts out there because more of them were made. Ike
I thought it was because the parts interchanged with toilet fixtures... ;)

Kohlers are fine engines, as long as they are not smokers. Usually when they start smoking, they have scored a cylinder, and need boring. I like both the Kohlers and the B/S. B/S usually runs a little smoother. Kohler carbs are usually easier to work on. Each has some advantages. If I had to choose, I'd go with B/S. Of my four tractors, three are B/S. I also have 4 Kohlers waiting as spares, in case I need them. I love it when B/S fans give Kohlers away. Right Clyde? LOL.