Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower improvements

Simpleton7016

All this warm weather has me thinking summer. If all goes as planned, I will be fortunate enough to get a tractor whose sole responsibility will be to mow the lawn and suck up the clippings and leaves through the vaccuum and back to the cart. Here is my question: has anyone modified their mower deck so that it is a more contained system? I assume that the fewer leaks there are in the system, the better the whole system will be at sucking up all the crumbs! I was thinking maybe rubber "ground effects" around the deck. What about different blades? Is there a way to get better "lift" out of the blades so that the scraps will more efficiently be sucked up into the cart behind? Does more horsepower necessarily mean better cutting/sucking ability for a standard lawn with tons of leaves in the fall? Any creative suggestions? Thanks, Erik

If it is a simplicity vac system they work great and it will have plenty of lift. Gators blades help alot to make the clippings and leaves you pick up alot smaller.

I don't like gator blades with the vacuum because then make too fine of pieces which clog up my trailer screens, especially when its dry.

Thanks guys. This might be one of those situations where all the advice in the world won't help. Me thinks I will have to try both myself. On the one hand, I look forward to using the vaccuum as a tool for composting and so the gator blades might be nice. But on the other hand, if I have to keep cleaning the vents, it may get very frustrating. Thanks though for the tips. I hadn't thought of either. Erik

i dont like gators either. they creat too much air pressure and push the leaves away from the deck. i tried them on my exmark commercial mower for a year. i prefer the oem blades. better for pickup up and cutting. One way to increase pickup is to simply lower the deck. lower the bettet unless you hit something. The bestr way to increase pickup is to add a vac system of some type.

When you vac the lawn you need to slow down the ground speed . It will take a little longer but it will do a much better job. I use a hydro trans for this.

SLow down the ground speed? Darn, I was afraid someone was going to recommend that. :) I usually have to rush to get it done as it is! I think I read somewhere that someone mounter a cup-holder on their unit. I'm thinking I better do the same. :)

Watch out for the ground effects idea, if air can't get into the deck it can't blow any out and will defeat your goal. like sticking the shop vac right against the floor.

Great analogy Thomas. I hadn't thought of that. I don't know why I thought that I could improve upon a system that the Simplicity engineers probably spent countless hours perfecting. Then again, I have seen a lot of the implements and attachments that many of you have fashioned and it makes sense. Thanks for the replies...I guess my machine is already at max-suction. :)

Well, Simplicity did/does offer a few "options" for their mower decks: 1. Hi-lift blades, where the back of the blade is turned up more to create more lift.... 2. Leaf-mulching kits, which included a piece to extend the front edge of the deck down about another 1", in addition to baffles that went under the deck.... 3. Anti-blowout kits for the newer decks, which also include an extension for the front edge of the deck.... With all that said, I don't think you'd really need anything more than hi-lift blades to make a Simplicity vac work well... I'll be the dissenting opinion here on the Gator Blades -- I really like them for picking up leaves with my Simplicity vac and cart. The cart will hold about 3 times as much as before, because the Gator Blades will simply pulverize the leaves if they're dry....

Kent, I've heard about these anti-blowout kits but must be looking in the wrong place. Do you know where I can find some info on them? Thanks

Erik, you ask about HP with collectors. I have a mounted collector that I have used on numerous Large Frame tractors from 10 to 20hp with both 42" and 48" decks. The 10hp struggles with the bagger (with a little load you loose engine rpm), the 12hp works much better and is acceptable, 14 hp is slightly better than the 12hp. The 15hp and up is not fazed by whatever thick wadded up leaves it sucks in, or how high the grass is, or both.

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
Kent, I've heard about these anti-blowout kits but must be looking in the wrong place. Do you know where I can find some info on them? Thanks
ANTI-BLOWOUT KITS Eliminates grass blowout on mowers. Contains blowout baffles, hardware and instruction sheet. 1686688 – 34” mower 1686689 - 38” mower 1686690 - 44” mower 1686691 - 50” mower http://simplicitymfg.com/pa_specialty.html#8

I have a peco rear mounted system, runs off the pto. Have used 10hp 14hp motor, 42" and 48" decks. Oem and gator blades. Like the 42"mower and gator blades and the 14hp the best. Enough HP and 42 vac better and gator blade chop the leave a lot smaller, threrfore the leaves will compost a lot faster. Been using this system for about 4 years.