Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

OK I think I give up 712S

OK guys, after taking your advice, thanks again by the way, on the different problems I've had and getting my mower running excellent I have a new problem. Probably a minor one, but my luck major work to fix. I believe I may have broken a fork on the shifter. The other day I drove it in 4th gear to my truck to load it, when I shifted into 2nd to go up the ramps...nothing. It wouldn't move. After trying to figure out what happened I noticed that the shifter WOULD NOT go into 1st but here's the really strange part in 2nd and 4th, you can tell it wants to go but it can't, and in 3rd AND neutral it moves both forward and reverse at 1st gear speed!!!! Any suggestions? Les, I may just go ahead and do what you did and part it out. I had gotten into this at a reasonable price at first but I have spent quite a bit rebuilding the deck and replacing everything that was worn out. The Simplicity dealer in town suggested selling me a 714 or 716 hydro and using the best of both. Too much trouble I think. Thanks for any help or offers? Jeff.

Ishmael2k
Hi Jeff, Sounds like it may have slipped between gears. Check out this message (MsgID=737) and read Als post in it and see if it matches what yours is doing. If you part it out email me please! Rob

Rob, Thanks I checked out Al's message, it sounds similar. I'll try to get in touch with him to see if the Shuttle set up would be about the same and if one of his Custom Tools would help me. If not I'll contact you if I decide to sell. Jeff.

Hey, thanks to Rob for putting me on to Al's advice. The tranny is fixed, just took one of those fancy tools to do the job. Old beast running fine now. Thanks again to everybody for their advice. Maybe I'll keep her a little while longer now. Jeff. http://hometown.aol.com/soup3263/myhomepage/tractor.jpg