Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Washer Fluid Freeze Temperature?

Roy

Many club members have filled their rear tires with windshield washer fluid to "load" them with a liquid that will not freeze. They usually put around 7 or 8 gallons in each tire. I'm thinking of using a mix on ww fluid and water, maybe 50-50 similar to that used for glycol antifreeze, but need to know the ww fluid freeze temp. Here in the sunny South I may not need pure ww fluid to keep the tires from freezing. Does anyone know the freeze temperature for windshield washer fluid? Thanks,

Winter blend WW fluid is formulated for 20 below.... But, at 99 cents a gallon is it worth taking the risk to save $6... ?

Not sure, but I would think pure ww would be less a rust problem. I would not mess around adding water if for only that reason. The cost is so small????? Dan

Thanks Gang, that's what I wanted to know. Will probably stick with the pure stuff although hauling 12 gallons home isn't a pleasurable thought.

Most washer fluid is around 30% methanol by weight. i have an Excel sheet that give freeze points for the mixtures, but can'r post it here. Is there a way it can be reformatted to allow that, if so i'll be glad to share it

Randy, Try holding down the shift key and doing "Copy Picture". Then paste this into a program that can save as .jpg. The saved .jpg file should post. If not, then download Irfanview from Resourses and resize the picture to fit.

12 gallons is only 2 cases. Used 12 cases of RV antifreeze to winterize my resort in Minnesota. Was not a lot to haul around. Dan

I have read a lot of posts about the subject of filling tubes with WW fluid. Great idea, but it seems like a lot of monkeying around unless you keep a spare set of tires and rims filled year round (perhaps with the chains on them too) and just swap the whole wheel out every spring and fall. I assume this is what y'all do, but are there any tips to storing those filled tires in the hot summer months? Is my assumption correct?

Erik, The tires are not completely filled with fluid. There is still a volume of air in them. They can be used year round. Weight for traction is needed in summer as well as winter. Most people who fill their tires, just put them on and run them with the fill from then on. Not a problem in summer with the pocket of air in the tire with the fluid. You set the pressure same as you do without fluid.

Very interesting! Are there dangers to overfilling? I may consider this for my "summer" tractor too. I presume that it lowers the center of gravity and it might therefore be easier to cut my ditches. Then again, I might get cocky and end up with a good story for another "Bonehead moves" thread next summer. :)

I have a spare set of wheels and tires. Plan to fill the tires and put chains on them. Use with the dozer blade to move dirt and snow (once every few years).

Notice: Not all windshield washer fluid is good for -20. Look close at the label, I have seen "bargain" washer fluid selling for .69/gal but in the fine print it states that it will freeze.