Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sunstar

fireman

Hello again,Thanks for everyones info. on the paint colors.Also on the engine parts I was looking for.Me and my dad ran across a SunStar today,and it is for sale.I was wondering what to offer him. It has a 20hp Kohler that runs good.The paint and sheet metal looks good with only minor scrathes.The mower deck also looks good,all original decals are still on the tractor and mowing deck.There seems to be a few minor hydraulic leaks.Would this be a good tractor to try to buy, if so what is a good price to start?

It is a very good tractor. Was high priced unit new. Has two speed differential, early units had locking differential . Shaft driven attachments. compared to belt driven on Sovereigns Had power steering. I feel major area of concern is motor, very important that engine be kept clean behind shrouds

Hi I agree,The Sunstar is a well built Garden Tractor, I have the Agco Allis version of the Sunstar( 1920H) and would take it over a new tractor any day! What size of deck is it? and does it have the Kohler Magnam or Kohler Command Engine in it? You will definately be happy with it, and the hydrolic leaks can easily be fixed. Take Care Jason B

The sunstar is an excellent tractor... and has a lot of power and well made attachments... The electrical system is fairly complex, but the tractor has a lot of fans including me. If you decide not to buy it maybe give us a chance to get at it... I think you would be well served by buying it yourself. These tractors start around 1000 dollars in fix me condition, and go to about 3500 for one in excellent shape all gone through..

The Sunstar is a very well built, heavy duty unit. I am a big fan, and have had 13 years of great service from mine, we have 3 around here. It was available in several configurations, 14, 16, 18, and 20 HP, both briggs, and kohler engines, with and without two speed rear, and the two speed had locking differential, also with and without power steering. It is very rare that I use the low gear feature, but I would not be without the locking diff., the power steering is great. The attachments can get pricey, but all are very well built, heavy duty,a and durable. Value? Depends on how bad you want it, and how bad he wants to sell it.

We really enjoy and are very impressed with our 20hp Sunstars and their various attachments. Currently looking at buying/selling yet another one....they multiply! Trying to figure out how to drive a generator off the PTO....has anyone done that before or any ideas out there? Regards, DennyBehr@aol.com