Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steel trailer bed thickness?

Bruker

I'm planning on rebuilding my 40"x48" utilty trailer and I'm thinking about lining the bed with a piece of sheet steel. Do you think 14 gauge would be thick enough or should I go with 12 or 11 gauge?

The bed is presently 1/2" plywood and it's starting to show the wear from handling dirt and gravel. I'll probably back it up with 1/2" plywood but the steel is to add wear resistance.

With 1/2" plywood under it 16 gauge would be heavy enough. maybee you can find a hood from a JD and flaten it out and use it, It would be one good use JD parts. LOL

If you do that be sure and coat the steel with more than just paint. A good coat of plastic roof cement would work. The wood will absorb moisture and rust out 14 gage [.074"] in just a few years. Consider using UHMW [polyethylene] 1/4" thick it will stand up to almost anything, never rust and out live both you and the trailer. A 1/4 x 48 x 48 sheet cost $70 in McMaster Carr and they are about the most expensive place that you can buy it.

Steel would be fairly slick also. Rough cut hard wood secounds from any local saw mill would work great and be fairly cheap. Thats what I use on my trailers and have very good results.

quote:
Originally posted by lboy1971
Could you use a paint on bedliner on the steel?
You can, but I've seen less than desirable results from over the counter bed liner kits.

I got tired of replacing the floor in my 5' x 8' utility trailer. It was 3/4 plywood, I replaced it with treated 3/4 ply and a 1/2" thick rubber horse trailer mat. The mat holds back the water and easy to walk on without slipping.