Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snow cab - buyer beware, ripped off on e-bay

Simpleton7016

Just before Christmas, someone pointed me to a snow cab on e-bay. I spoke with the guy and asked him what a fair price would be to end the auction early. He gave me a price and I agreed to it. I friend of mine who was coming home for Christmas paid for and picked the cab up in Indiana and delivered it to me here in Milwaukee. Upon delivery, my friend said the guy lowered the price $40 because he ripped it while dissassembling. Well, not only was the front panel and zipper essentially ripped off, but some of the mounting bars were missing. This rendered the unit useless to me. After a month of trying to reach the seller and many promises and apologies, I still do not have a complete unit. His cell phone has been disconnected and he will not respond to my e-mails. Basically, I got ripped off, Oh well, live and learn I guess. The good news is that a few weeks ago, a real nice guy ran across my old "want ad" and said he had a cab he would sell me. He sent pictures and we agreed on a price (it ended up being the same price as the piece of junk that sits in my garage now). Below are the pictures. I was planning on making a 8-10 hour round trip to pick up the snow cab and some other attachments and parts sometime in the next two weeks (Smilin' Sam, you are on my itinerary), but I think I better make sure this snow cab will fit my tractor. He said it came off of a powermax. It essentially looks like all the other ones I have seen except for the rounded back/rear window. Will the mounting brackets still fit my 7016? I sure hope so 'cuz this one comes equiupped with lights which the other did not. Any cab experts out there? As always, thanks in advance. Erik

Can't speak from experience with that specific cab, but I don't think it'll work well without a lot of modification. A PowrMax is a much larger tractor than a 7016 -- about twice the size. The look similar because they were made by the same company... BTW, you can likely get some of the parts (if not all) from Original Cab Company (an advertiser) who made them for Simplicity. See the right border on Simple trACtors for a link...

I'm no expert on cabs by no means so I can't quote to you the demintions between the powermax and the large frame tractors, BUT, the powermax's use a considerably larger fender and seat area and dash. So I doubt the frameing will fit. I have my doubts that it's the same cab and top as what your useing. I would suggest after picking it up,as a deals a deal now matter what it fits, that you look at it and see how much differance there is then decide what to do. It would be a shame to loose a powermax cab when others that would be a direct fit would do you. You may find you can resale this cab to someone for thier powermax for enough to purchase your correct cab. Just some thoughts.

That is what I was afraid of. If anyone is interested, e-mail me off-line or send me a private message and I can share his contact information. He was not actively (meaning it is not listed anywhere) trying to sell it but he is located in central Illinois and would rather not ship it.

Eric, please testify that neither cab involved the 'biggie_rat', (the Indiana connection and all). I have been know to have a cab or two, but I have commited to send my next one 'up north' to MPH. I don't have any at all except my own at the moment. B.R.

Is the cab pictured above the one you bought on Ebay or is this cab pictured the one that you said SmilinSam has that you are looking at to buy?

I know what you mean by that Eric, but somehow it ........... anyway, if anybody needs a cab it is MPH. Martin freezes me to death every time he puts one of his popsicle pictures on. In fact, (we know Martin isn't a charity case) I will commit to pay shipping (he says U.S. Postal is still the cheapest) or a chunk of the cost of the cab if you can put it in 2 boxes to ship it up to him. If it all goes in one box, it will be slightly oversize and would pay dearly. UPS is out of the question to Alaska, probably. Automobile windshield boxes are a good size to ship, the skinnier, the better. Maybe some other people on here know better ways of getting things up there or would help out. It would be a good indoor project to build the frame out of electrical conduit that he needs to fit what he would decide to put it on. He can do it though, he does good work. He's going to shoot me for writing this. But that would be a "long shot". One of these days it will take global warming before they find him. B.R.

It would be a shame to modify a powermax cab to fit a smaller tractor, unless the modifications can be undone in the future. If you are patient cabs for your tractor do pop up every so often.

If you need the window replaced, let me know. I can do that when I have a spare minute. Geez a Pmax on a 7000 series? I usually have to go the other way! LOL Let me know if I can help.... JP

Sorry, I was not clear. Smilin' Sam is not selling a cab. I was going to swing by his place on the the way to pick the cab up. I am buying something else from Sam. Anyway, the cab pictured is not the one I got screwed on. It is the one that is still for sale in central Illinois. Again, nice guy. i can put you in touch with him if need be. I will not be purchasing the cab for all the reasons you all have mentioned. Thanks for help, Erik

Thats a decent looking cab...I had one on my 808..I didnt care for it because of the noise and exhaust...Im thinking though that I may try one next year on my 7100...Gotta find one now...

If you are interested in re-selling the damaged cab, how about posting pictures of it and giving us a price. I for one, would patch one up if the price were right.

I will try to take pictures tonight...but it is only in pieces and not all the parts are there to actually assemble it. Good idea though. Do they make kits to fix these? Or is it up to the creativity and ingenuity of the owner?

Erik You can get all the parts and material from Original tractor cab co. the maker of the cab and a site sponsor check out the Simple TrACtors home page for a link to their site. Contact Chris Geise He is a member of the club, User Name: chrisgei He will help you all he can.

Thanks Maynard, Lloyd, Ron et al, Below are the pictures of the junk cab I have in my possession. I would consider parting it out to local members in need of some pieces. Not looking to make my money back, just would help someone out if they need some parts. I already know my cash is lost. :( But, I looked through the Original Tractor Cab site. Do they have the pieces to put together an entire NOS cab? Will new Simplicity cabs fit the 7000 series? Finally, my material is pretty crunchy and brittle. What is a good product to restore some of this materials plyability? I have heard that armor all type products are actually the worst thing for leather/vinyl type materials because it actually ends up drying it out faster than it normal wear and tear!

That cab would look alot better if put together. the material in these cabs is fairly stiff. Like I stated above the only way you are going to find out about the parts needed is to contact Cris Geise cgeise@originalcab.com at Original tractor cab http://www.originalcab.com phone - 765-663-2214 You can also go to his profile in the club, User Name: chrisgei and send him an email thru the club. Cris can get you a instruction manual and parts break down for your cab. He got me the correct hard windshield for my cab and I needed a front panel and he got that made for me.