Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need help with trans

66Squire10

This is probably going to be a stupid question, but here it goes. Since I haven't had real interest in selling parts from my Squire10, I decided to put it back together. I had taken the trans and trans axle apart because of blastbead getting into it. Well I put it all back together tonight and now when I turn one rear wheel the other is going the opposite way. Is this right? I would think they both go the same way. Could I have the gears backwards in the trans axle? If anyone knows about these things would appriciate some help.

I will check mine tomorrow. If you jack up the rear end of almost any rear wheel drive car and you will have the same thing.

Vincent, That is the way a differential is supposed to work, so there is nothing wrong. There should be two screws in the right side hub. These should be tightened to 20 ft-lb. This will apply friction between the right and left sides to make the wheels pull together more effectively. There will still be some slippage at heavy loads so that the tractor can effectilvely negotiate turns. The outside wheel turns faster than the inside wheel in a sharp turn.

Ok, I went out and tried to move the tractor but the back wheels won't turn, they seem to be fighting each other. Took everything apart and seemed to be ok but when I put them back together and tried moving the wheels they still won't move. Does anyone know how the differential goes back together? I am looking off of the parts page for it and it has the washers first then the gear but if I do it that way then the gear doesn't connect to the bottom gears. Any suggestions?

If the tractor won't roll, then it is not the differential. Even if the differential were locked, the tractor should roll, if the tranny is in neutral and nothing is bound up inside. If the axle won't turn the problem has to be in the transmission, not the diff.