Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which tractor to use?

tec2484

I'm going to build a loader for one of my tractors, But I want to hear which one you guys think I should use. tractor #1 AC B210 with power lift

or tractor #2 Wards Squire 9 the rear end on this is locked but can be unlocked (it was used as a puller for a little while)

I already have all of the parts to build a loader other than hoses and spool valve.

Well you already have ags on the Squire and I'd tend to think w/ all the clutching useing a loader that you'd have more shifting problems out of the 210 since it's a variable. Also don't see much need for hydro lift on a loader tractor since it'll most likely be dedicated with the loader. Just some thoughts.

In addition to Dave's points, the shorter wheelbase of the Wards makes it more maneuverable... However, that also means that it will require slightly more weight on the rear to offset the weight in the bucket....

I agree with the others. Don't waste the hydrolift, since you probably won't be using it with a loader. Also the vari-drive is not really usable with a loader. The B210 will make a nice mower and general purpose tractor. Use the Squire for the loader. I know that Kent said that the shorter tractor is more maneuverable, but I prefer a longer wheelbase tractor for use with a loader. It makes a much more stable platform, and doesn't require as much additional weight for stability and traction. I am considering a loader for my 7116H, which has the longest wheelbase of any of the tractors in my stable(I also have a 61 Wards Squire that was previously used for pulling).