Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
imlarry

48" vs 60" deck performance

imlarry
I have used a 48" deck on my Sunstar 20 Hp. since '87. I bought a used Legacy 25 Hp. with very low hours 3 years ago. The 60" deck (yea, I know it has two right hand and one left hand blade) never really cuts as nice as the 48" and leaves a ragged and uneven looking finish to the lawn. I have checked all the obvious stuff like leveling the deck and sharpening the blades but it still cuts badly. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

comet66
I have both size decks on my Sunstars. When cutting my son's lawn with either deck the cut is nice and even, when cutting mine, the 48 does a much nicer job. The difference is that my son's lawn is nice and flat, mine is not. While the 48 is better able to follow the terrain of my lawn, the 60 can not respond as quickly because of its width. This leaves many ares cut shorter or longer at the sides of the deck. Hope this helps some.

quantico
I have the 48 inch on my sunstar, the cut is just excellent. I have driven the 60 inch deck and the cut also looked really good. I can't get a 60 inch deck around my yard easily so I have no use for the additional width. I would be sure that the blades are sharp and that you have the correct blades on the deck. Are you getting scalping on the edges ??? or just not a clean cut ?? someone may have set the deck up incorrectly or messed with the deck and made a mess ( possible , but not likely ).

Jason
Hi I also have a 48 inch deck on my Agco 1920. I mainly do a lot of cutting in town, so I don't need the 60 inch deck.However the 48 inch deck does a great job and leaves the famous Simplicity "Striped" pattern on the lawn after it is cut. We might put a 60 inch deck on our 1920 later on as we are getting a few more bigger lawns. Take Care Jason B

imlarry
The cut on my 60" deck is ragged. The edge is not scalped. I have sharpened the blades and still get the same yuck appearance whether I mow on flat or hilled lawn. The grass looks torn, not cut properly. I have been mowing for 45 years. I had a mowing service when I was young. The 60" deck has been a real disapointment. When purchased I thought it would save time on my 3 acres, but I find myself leaving it in the barn while I use the 48" deck on the Sunstar.

DaveM
Have you made sure that the blades are turning the right direction? I think a lot of us here have probably made that mistake at least once, and the results are just like you are describing. Having the belt twisted or on improperly is normally the culprit. DaveM