Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar experts; price/opinion check

roma3112

fellas I was out tire kicking Kubota Tlb's and i ran across a 16hp sunstar in their used equipment pile, while i am not in the market for one i asked how much? Well they wanted 1,500 for it! now to me this seems TOO much, the machine has about 270hrs on it. i know from info found here that this machine has a single speed rear end and no diff-lock. I noticed no leaks but alot of old grass accumilation. While doing my research i noticed that if the engine goes out (16hp kohler) that there is no direct twin cylinder replacement? The S.E.W has kits for the 18hp models but they note that if you have a 16hp single you have to go the short block route. I guess i am looking for opinions on a fair price, any specific quirks to look for on this model and any info as far as the engine swap possibilities. thanks john

if its more than 3 or 4 yrs. old its worth about $1,300 in the state of micigan if its a 16hp and 270 hrs and a single speed,but the twin cylinder might put up the price. your state makes a diffrence too.but im not found of a sunstar.

270 Hours doesn't seem like that awfully high to me. Is it a 16HP cast iron Kohler? In some respects I'd rather have a single cylinder than a twin. Cost alot less to rebuild and usually don't blow holes in the block when rods go as often as on the twins. I see them around here, central WI, in papers and at auctions for $750-$2000 depending on specifics.

Hi That sounds like a good price on the Sunstar to me! Normally Sunstars sell in the $4,500 - $5,000 dollar range up here in Canada( at least in my area). However this depends on what options it has as well. Out of courosity what size of deck is on this Sunstar? I know that one dealer up here has a Duetz Allis 1920 Ultima for sale with a loader, and a 60 inch mower deck. The Dealer said the engine in this 1920 was a partial rebuilt with a Short block. They were asking $7500 for the 1920 and loader. Take Care Jason B

the machine has a 48in deck, and no rear lift group and no other options just the mower no PS single speed hydro. it has a single cyl kohler in it, cosmetically the paint is a little faded and the seat is cracked. if i dont wind up getting a TLB this may be a good candidate for a dedicaded mower.

Sunstar's are great tractors, everybody knows I'm a big fan. I think if you shopped around some you could find a nice 20 HP unit for the same price, and have the two speed, diff. lock, and power steering for the same price. JMHO though.

i also had a line on a sunstar somplace in CT 2 hours from me :( the guy had it on ebay and it only got a 600.00 bid. i contacted him and he said he wanted like 1,600 for the tractor and johnny bucket jr and like 2,500 for the tractor mower 60in and bucket. it has a 20hp engine and 885 hours on itand it has PS how can i tell if this machine has a diff lock and a 2 speed r-end, i would like to find out on the phone before i contemplate that long ride.

I stand to be corrected but I think if it has PS and is a 20hp it will have diff lock and 2 sp rear end. That may depend on what year it was made. I know the early models came with all three options as a pkg. BTW I also have a Kubota B7300 4wd. you won't be disappointed if you go that route either.

on the sunstars where would the locking differential actuator and selector for the 2-speed rear end be? The add for the 20hp i saw did not mension either of these features although it does have PS.

Hi I don't believe the ones with individual brakes had diff lock. I have a 20 48 rough that I want 500 for. Have no idea what the engine is I assume shot. I am thinking of parting it out because the power steering can be adapted to 7100s. Bruce Howell put a SS ps unit in a 7100. He had to make the cyl anchor. I got him the correct dash panel and decal. Went in well. He had regular hyd hoses made to replace the steel lines. I was going to make them, but it was more feasible to have them done there. He says it works great. Al Eden

Al thanks for the info, as far as the two speed rear end, how does that work/ controled, is it a switch on the dash , a lever someplace? If the machine (20hp) that i am looking at is in ok shape with 850ish hours on it do you folks think I should be looking at any power-train areas as potential "money pits"? Are there quirks with the sunstars that are problem areas? I know i read that the engine shrouds are an important area to maintain, on these machines, but thats about it. Al one other thing: The other sunstar i looked at with the 16hp single cyl kohler. why is it that i have read that you cant put a command or other type of twin cyl engine in them,? I read that if you want to repower one of the 16hp single cyl sunstars you "have to" go the short block route, is this true? thanks again

The 20 hp Sunstar/Ultima was available with seperate rear brake pedals, two speed rear, and locking differential. I have one of each Sunstar and Ultima. The diff. lock, and two speed controls are on the right side, above the running board, just in front of the rear fender. The high/low range control is hand operated with the bi-pass position being between the high and low range positions. The diff. lock has a rubber pad on it and is foot operated by stepping on it with your right heel. I don't know just when it changed, but the latter models I have seen do not have the Hi/Lo, and diff. lock. This may help on that point.

If it would help I can try to get a better picture of one of mine latter this afternoon.

john thanks atleast now i know where to tell the guy to look when i call, he only has one pic and it is a wide shot of the whole machine. thanks

was able to call the man selling the 20hp sunstar. he said it has a pedal on the right side (differential lock) but he was not sure if it had a 2speed rear end. He is Not selling the 60in mower deck with it and wants like 900.00$ sor it. I dont really need another mower, for that fact I was looking for a kubota b or bx!!! well lets just say that if i get a sunstar is a 60in deck really worth that much? on these tractors is the two speed rear end control very obvious, while the man knew enough about the quality of the tractor to be firm on the price when i asked if it had a 2speed he wah kind of like "huh"

If you enlarge the picture above you can make out the two controls together just in front of the right rear fender. The diff. lock is straight with a rubber pad, and the hi/lo range controll is bent up in an ell shape. Also the decal on the consol/drive train tunnel will give instructions for the use of both. The range control has to be in neutral (center between hi and lo) to push or tow the tractor. If you need a better picture let me know.