Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vickers to sunstrand

RickS

Hi, I have a 3416H with a vickers rear end. I am think about trying to switch it over to a sunstrand and was wondering if anyone has done this before. I tried the search function but did not find any posts that outlined the steps. A few posts did state someone was thinking about it or had done several but no pictures or steps needed. I know both SmilingSam and Kent switched variables to sunstrand, in older tractors. So can someone help. Is this easy or hard and what are the pitfalls. thanks Rick........

Check out Simple tractors One by Kent and One by sam It would be basicly the same process but should be easier as these were conversions to hydro and you are going from hydro to hydro. Variable to Hydro #1 [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro.htm[/url] Variable to Hydro #2 [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro2.htm[/url]

If you can find an AC700 or Simp 7000 tractor with a Sunstrand, you can just swap the 3416 sheetmetal and engine to the other frame. The frames are essentially identical. You may also be able to just bolt on all of the parts from the tractor with the Sunstrand. I'm just not sure that the hydro linkages are mounted the same in the frame. The reason I say this is that I have two AC tractors, a 716H and a 713S. The 713S with the shuttle tranny has a frame from a 710 3-speed that does not have the tube welded into the frame that the hydro linkage would mount to, but the frame on the 716H has mounts for the linkages for both the hydro and shuttle mounted into the frame. This is the type of problem that you could run into. Otherwise, everything from the BGB rearward should just bolt on. I also have a frame from a Homelite T13. It has both mounts also. So 1 out of 3 of my frames does not have the mount for the hydro lever. All of them have the mount for the shuttle lever. The lever mount is nothing more than a tube welded into a hole in the frame. This is the only difference I have run into in the later model frames.

I've swapped Sundstrands into two 3416 tractors in the past. You will need to cut the pipe sleeve out of the donor tractor frame that the control lever goes into and drill a hole in exactly the same place on the 3400 series frame and weld the sleeve back in in exactly the same position it was in in the donor tractor. Other than that it all nuts and bolts.

I swapped a 7000 series Simp with a shuttle to Vickers and used the same hole as the shuttle arm used. I notice the Sundstrand's use the lower hole location. That is how I can easily tell which hydro by long or short lever. My 7000 series has both holes in it. Would a Sundstrand pump work with a vickers transaxle?

What's the deal with Vickers? I've got a line on a 3415H that the guy says won't move.Parts availability a problem?

Thanx,Maynard,if I check it out,I'll take that into consideration.Supposedly runs good,paint faded,but non moving.

A Vickers rep came to where I work 2 weeks ago and said you should be able to get many of the wear parts. When I get a chance to get the casting numbers, he is going to check for me. He gave me some ideas on how to fix the pintle leak problem.

Kenny, The vickers pumps are available surplus and rebuilt. The place wants $750.00 for them when I checked a year ago, but they are available. The first one rebuilds and has surplus pumps the second place rebuilds your old pump. http://www.ahx1.com/ http://proactivefluidpower.com/vickers_transmissions.htm

Thanks,guys,maybe it's worth a drive to check it out.He's wanting $150.00,and says it's a firm price.Didn't want to end up with an orphan transmission,so to speak.I think that's a bit o' money for a parts tractor.