Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917-H Power Steering

MDB

My Dad has been wanting power steering on his 917-H, finally found him one on Ebay a week or so ago. Here are some pics.

Power sterring setup

Rear mount for the cylinder

Steering valve

View of the hydraulic lines, plumbed right to the hydraulic lift and the hydrostat. Not too bad of a job to install one of these units, took less than 2 hours. and best of all the tractor steers like a dream....:D OBTW, I was going to leave this off when I did this project but VFD702 wouldn't let me.....

;):D

THAT MY FRIEND WILL COST YOU next time you have furnace trouble !!!!! LOL You know...you and that Marty guy have bolt trouble. Those boards just keep fallin off for you guys................... great pics Mike. ken

Looks good. Looks like the cylinder mounts to one of them boards so I quess it wasn't a hard decision to leave them on. I hope your Dad helped, good father-son bounding.

Don't you loose power asstist when you bottom the lift cyl. out? Still looks good and I'm sure it works great. Wouldn't change my 620 back to manual steering for nothin.

Neat kit and installation. ^ Does the PS lose boost (lag) on fast turns? The factory PS on my Sovereign lags on a fast turn. Very aggravating. :(

Mike, Nice work. I think they made two types of PS systems for the RBT's. Which version is this? I read someting about the hydrolift cutting out when you steer. Does that mean that if you have a plow raised up, then when you steer it will fall to the ground? Or does it just mean you cannot raise it or lower it from its current position?

this is the linkage type the other replaced the steering gearbox and the third was an assist before the gear box. I do not think you will lose any capacity as all the cylinders are two way and what is pushed in one end is let out on other end. Once again I'm thinking and that gets me in to trouble.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys, I played around with the 917 a little before I took it back to Dads place. The hydraulic lift and or the hydrostat did not seem to affect the power steering to any noticable degree. Sure does steer great, like a diferent tractor....:D Hey Marty, I got that 3314H that I posted pics of on trade for this job. Whats say I ditch the Running Boards on that one, then you and I will have matching non RB RBTs....:D:D:D

I saw that on ebay...If its the one i saw it wasnt too far from me...Have any of you guys done something similar to this NOT using Simplicity parts?