Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Would you use: mid-mount grader or york rake

sunrunner

I used this type of rake on my gravel drive. It has the blade that drops down and is adjustable, worked fantastic. I never used a mid mount but I know this is a good setup.

If your just wantting to maintain the gravel that's there a mid mount will work great. Only limitation I find is the amount of material that will pass under the hitch.

York rake is used for gathering up rocks and removeing them from a yard. Grader blades the way to go. Remember to keep a "Crown" in the center of the drive so water sheds off or it'll hold water and soon rut out. Practice and experiance is the best teacher so give yourself some time playing. A few tips are blade from the outside in to the center. Don't be afraid to pull a little dirt up with the rock. Make several passes and get a good windrow down the center. The more the blade is angled the easier it will be to move the rock over. After getting up the windrow make a pass down the center w/ the blade straight keeping the depth adjusted so you don't dig to deep the first pass. Pushing the windrow will roll the rock out the sides evenly. This may take a few passes to get the windrow down where you need it since you can't move but so much at one time. This should place most of the rock in the tire tracks where you want it. It'll work towards the outside more as you drive on it so don't try to push a bunch real far out. After the center's knocked down, angle the blade slightly and make a smothing pass down each tire track. If you blade it w/ a straght blade several passes over the same area then it'll become wavey and almost no matter how good you are you'll never get it to smooth out. This is where the angle helps. It keeps the blade from rideing the same spot each pass makeing the bumps bumpier and the holes deeper. And if you didn't want this help then ignore it.lol

Thanks for the info - The drive sits high on either end(end of drive and by the house) and is lower in the middle - Reading some other forums : is there someone making these midmounts or do I keep a lookout on E-bay? Thanks Dave - All info is appreciated - Chris

I bought one of my grader blades on Ebay and another at a swap meet. I think these blades are one of the best working attachments I have ever had. If you have a gravel driveway these are the way to go. I used to use a skid loader to level and smooth out the rock, I have since just used my grader blade and find it does a much better job. Mark

I don't know officially - but from the looks of the exploded parts view - #1690038 - It looks like it may fit - Looks like the frame for the grader and the frame to my 42" plow seem close - Chris

Sorry - the hitch looks close - backwards and minus the lift bracket - maybe close enough of a measurement to prefab? - Chris

I know on the TA1 York Rake you can attatch a blade - Would like to learn more about the mid-mount - any one have a brochure?

This worked good for me. Shop built center mount gravel scraper from old fork lift gard and I-beam. It can be angled by loosening big wingnuts and positioning "blade" in alternate slots on underside of "deck". http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/Alpha8D/rusty%20and%20gravel%20grader.jpg

40 plus ton of gravel and even more fill dirt on my drive, and all done with mid-mount grader blade:). They do a great job (with a litte practice:D) Drive is 250' long Randy

A blade would be the way to go.If you have a tractor like a 4041 or 720 with 3 point hitch then a boxscraper would work good to level out the driveway.

Thanks for the advice and the pics - Think I will hunt around for a mid-mount - Question about a york rake - Do or can you add weight to the rake or does it(float) do not know how heavy they are?

Nice looking driveway Randy. I had to put wheels on my 3pt mounted Yoke rake on the 4040 to help keep it from digging too much. For leveling a yoke rake like the showen would be better then a 3pt mounted one as it wouldn't be affected by the rear tractor tires going over humps and dips as much.