Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

diesel adapter

ehertzfeld

In another post, I asked about the best way to hook up my diesel to the drive train. I have gotten a few replies, but I think everyone is confused at what I'm taking about. On the diesel engine, the flywheel has 4 holes to bolt the rope start cup to. These 4 holes do not line up with anything that we use on Briggs engines. I am going to have to make something. I'm wondering, what others have used in the past. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0025.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/img0026.jpg[/img] is it at all possible to drill cast iron?

Cast Iron is very sandy/gritty so anything other than a VERY expensive it won't do much in cast. In doing my diesel swap in the 620 I used my local machine shop to mill me some addapters from one bolt pattern to the other. I also would recomend useing the cup from the diesel as a guide pattern. I also incorparated a double groove pulley in my addapter so it serves several purposes. You might find takeing a piece of round stock and drilling holes in it to mach the bolt patern of the diesel. Countersink the heads so they resess into the spacer block. Then drill and tap out the holes for the flex disc and it's done. I would imagine the addapter being about 1 1/2" thick. You'll need to do some very accurate setup on it when drilling the holes so everything centers up or the spacer will knock the bearings out of everything under that kind of load and RPM. This is the adapter I had made for the 28HP diesel I'm working on. The diesell had a 3 bolt pattern and a drive shaft that I wanted to use for the rear pto later so I kept the same bolt pattern.I did need to keep the double belt drive for the hydro intact but I lost rpm's on the diesel engine so I did the math and made the pulley a little larger to compensate so the hydro would still have 3600 rpm's. So you'll notice it's a little bigger in diam. The pics show the diff. in the Onan addapter and my new one. Most of this was milled out of solid stock on a lathe so it's true round. I also went this route to insure I'd have a smooth flow of power considering the extra HP and tourqe I'm gaining. Over kill, maybe, but I don't think so.

I drilled the stock adapter, and it worked just fine. Thanks, I'll post pictures at some point of my progress. Elon

quote:
Originally posted by 2burning
Elon, I may have missed a previous threads, but what diesel are you repowering with?
I got a single cylinder Lombardini diesel, that I'm putting into a 3310V. I'm going to build a loader for it after I get the engine done. Elon

Replace 2 of the bolts holding the pulley on the diesel ( only 2 seem to be 180 degrees apart in your pics ) with longer bolts and use a good grade of flat washers to stack to the right hight. Then use a fiber disk from simplicity. Once you get everything set up and installed, You can always remove the washers and have a machine shop make solid bushings to replace them but I have not had a problem with the washers in any I've done.. The most important thing is taking time to get the new holes in the disk square and centered.