Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi/Lo

Ronald Hribar

Would there be any advantage of installing a Hi/Lo on a 7117 H ? My initial thought was that I would have a slower speed for tilling, now I'm not sure.

7117H is hydrostatic. Speed range is alread down as slow as one can go. Besides, a Hi Low wont cure the problem of it being pushed around by the tiller. I prefer the gear drive tractors to till with as they dont get pushed so bad. My opinion is the later 6 speed tractors like the 7110 6 speed or 7016 6 speed are the best.

Sam, I've never had one, so I thought I would ask this question. Is the the 6-speed on the later models such as the 7110 the same as a 3 speed with a hi/lo, or is the dual range built internally?

Not possitive Rod but think what Bob is saying is you have 2 belts from BGB to tranny with 2 different size sets of pullies. Have thought of creating such a thing on my 725 for tilling.

Your right Marty. There are two belts from the BGB pulleys to the driven pulleys on the trans. The lever on the dash moves the idler pulley from one set of pulleys to the other. Low in first on my 716-6 speed is not as slow as my 716H though. Can't comment on tilling with them though. I only have tillers for my B-series with a 10" driven pulley on the trans. Still have to ride the clutch at times. If you would like some pictures let me know, I'll try to snap some and post. GregB

like Stated two belts on the six speed models with doubled pulleys on both the transmission and bevel gear box. One belt merely "slips" while the other is driving under the tension of the idler pulley under it. my opinion has been that these run a bit slower than the variable speed tractors. Dont know about the B series with the hi low unit on them.

Greg, if you could a few pics showing how the idle slides it might get my gears turning again. Kinda a back burnner project but sure would be nice to have. Thanks.

All you would end up doing is running the pump slower, and I have no experience, here but for fluid cooling purposes I would think you wouldn't want to slow that down.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Greg, if you could a few pics showing how the idle slides it might get my gears turning again. Kinda a back burnner project but sure would be nice to have. Thanks.
Yeah, it does sound kinda neet. I'd like to see how it works. Elon

Marty, I'll snap some pictures,probably this weekend when I am around during daylight. I have thought about retrofiting a set-up from the RBT 6 speeds onto a FDT. Biggie Rat just parted out almost a complete set-up, pulleys, belt guards, etc. But Shaft size on the BGB might be an issue with that. Later ones had a slightly larger dia. shaft. Also the high low shift lever uses a pivot that also interlocks with the clutch pedal throw. You must have the clutch completely disengaged and be locking the breaks before you can shift the idler over to the other set of pullies. GregB