Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting Circuit Problem Solved

After pulling my hair out trying to find a solution to a starting ciruit problem, I finally narrowed it down to a wire from the solenoid to the starter. Replaced the wire (4 gauge) and everything is fine. How is it possible for a wire to go bad?

I had a charging problem on a truck. Sometimes it charged, sometimes it didn't. Found a wire broken in two places, inside the insulation. Looked fine on the outside.

I had a 98 Ford Ranger that would cut out when driving down the road,sometimes really bad.To make a long story short,in one group of wires running down the back of the engine there was a bad wire.Move the harness to the right,it would die!I replaced the bad section,ran perfect.The wire was broken in the insulation.

The source of the problem was very deceptive in my situation. The 4 gauge wire looked stout enough that a missing strand or two under the insulation wouldn't make a difference and the terminals were in good condition. I thought it was the least of all possible scenarios before putting some test leads on it.

INTERNAL CORROSION Cut the insulation off from the wire you will find a green or white powder/substance amongst the strands ( usually at the connection ends ) this creates a high resistance in the wire to the point of indicating an open.

Maynard - Good point about the corrosion. The bare strands were exposed next to the terminals. When making up the new cable I was tempted to cover the gap with heat shrunk tubing but didn't out of laziness. Maybe I'll correct that when and if I change all of the wiring.

Besides being rubbed intoo by something, if there is the tinyest hole in the insulation where moister can invade, over time the wire will corrode likeMaynard described. You can't tell this from the outside but the wire will be completely severed inside. A resonable tug on the wire will ussually separt the break by streatching the rubber insulation. So if you can stretch the wire anywhere you just found your break.