Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" Deck Shell Interchangeability

B.Ikard

Gents, I was wondering how interchangeable the 42" deck shell from an earlier model with 2 bolts securing blades & 1 piece arbor housings to a later model with the split housings and splined arbor shafts? In a nutshell I want to put my 2 piece arbor housing later system in this deck shell made for the earlier 1 peice housing system. ANy suggestions would be appreciated, Ike

Ike, I did that recently to the deck for my 7013S. Think I posted some pictures. Do a site search to see if you can find the pictures and posts related to what you are looking for. Depending upon your specific deck and the spindles you plan to put in the spindles/arbors may go above or below the deck sheet metal and you will need some spacers to properly locate the mower blade height in the deck. If all else fails PM or e-mail me and I can send you the pictures. I also have a drawing I made for the required spacer(s). I got mine from Sandy Lake Implements (site sponsor). Good luck,

When did they change? What is the advantage/disadvantages of each? The mower deck under my b-10 was bought as a replacement around 77 or 78 and it has the one piece arbors and two bolt blades. (I don't remember what we hit, but I do remember the arbor being broken out of the shell.) Also it has 6 bolts in each shaft housing, while the 1964 vintage one I got on my other tractor only has three. When was this changed?