Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Track Snowblowers

Al

Hi, Does anyone ever see any of the track snowblowers around? Junk? We rarely see one. I have about 7 good right angle Hydrostatics out of zero turns. I would like to find a walk behind snow thrower with the long tracks that is junk otherwise. I would like to make with my granson a crawler tractor with a dozer blade. I would use 2 of these hydros and turn then so one track drove from the front and the other from the rear. This would let the hydros nest side by side. I think it would be a fun project. Might even use a Broadmore hood and grille. Just dreaming. These Hydros are like new. They were in Ariens ZTs and they had a mtg bracket that bent and broke a small cast aluminum ear off the case. Simplicity used the same hydro, but doesn't use that ear. If anyone within a reasonable distance of Eastern Iowa is aware of one, with the long tracks, I would appreciate hearing about it. Al Eden

Al: I don't have any extra (I've got one, in pieces, that I hope to rehab into a working blower--some mouth breathers dissassembled it, broke the intake and lost the clutch assy, so I need a junk Sears model myself). I got mine at the local, town recycle center. It had been thrown out on the curb, and one of the refuse workers took the engine off, pulled the starter, and dumped the engine and machine into the dumpster. Perhaps you could strike a deal with a local refuse worker, to keep an eye out for a similar machine, for you? But I wanted to respond not only to say "What a great project!" but also to ask if you've considered taking two short-track blowers, like this Sears model of mine, and (somehow--I leave the "somehows" up to you--lol) linking two tracks into one, so that you would make two long tracks out of four short tracks (off of two donor blowers). I'm assuming you could recycle the "bogies" or track guides so that you could actually make two long tracks out of the four shorties. What do you think? Peter

Al, we share the same dream! I saw a short track on Ebay a few weeks ago. I was thinking of putting on the back of my Dynamark and make some skis for the front. The tracks went over $100 so I never bid. Elon

I'm also thinking of taking my FREE JD 212 and putting skid steer tracks on it. Modify front axle so I can put same type of wheels and tires front and rear. And adding individual Hydraulic brakes for steering.