Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engines

dewayne

HI y members, There seems to be a lot of questions and imformation on briggs engines. Is this because its a better engine or most commonly used. My 917 has a kohler. Just curious. dewayne

All the twins in the older tractors were Kohler. The Singles were either Kohler or Briggs. And each has their faithful following. Like Ford/Chevy

I personally prefer the Briggs single cylinder cast iron engines. But the Kohler Command in my Prestige doesn`t seem to be a bad engine either.

dewayne, Just like there are the RBT(running board tractor) and the FDT(foot dragging tractor) factions on this site, there are also the B/S and Kohler groups. B/S is the more common engine, and the best liked in general. I have both type of engines and both are good engines. In general the B/S engines tend to run smoother, and in many instances, the will last longer. Biggest problem that most people have with Kohlers is that when they start smoking, they usually have a scored cylinder and need a bore job and oversize piston. I have rebuilt several B/S engines without need of boring them. You will hear a lot more questions about ignitions with the B/S engines. This is because most of the older, one cylinder Kohlers had battery ignition. Not much that can go wrong with these and they are easy to fix. B/S Magnetos, on the other hand, can be harder to diagnose and swapping from a magneto to a magnetron system can bring on additional problems. I think the Kohler side-draft carburators are also easier to maintain than the B/S updrafts. Both brands have their good points. Both have their unique problems. Take your choice. I use both. If I absolutely had to choose, I'd probably take B/S. My 4 tractors have 3 B/S engines and 1 Kohler. I also have 4 spare Kohler engines and no spare B/S engines. I have found that is is much easier to get good deals on used Kohler engines than B/S. Guess it is just like Ford vs. GM vs. Chrysler. Everybody has a favorite.

i argree with ray s briggs & straton are more of a reliable motor and seems to be tougher and stronger.never had a simplicity with a kohler.i just know the cub cadet has a kohler. ---------------- Remainder of post deleted. Kent --------------

this is a family site and my kids would see that in a New York second. By the way I drive a Ford because I got sick of hearing the chevys rust at night.

Nick, You should alter that post, or one of the Moderators will fix it for you. That type of language is not allowed.

I agree about the magnetron. When I wined to my Simplisity dealer about the cost of a set of points, they offered to convert to a Magetron ignition. However... I needed to send in my flywheel to have the polerity reversed on the magnut because that what the Magnetron required. With shipping and such it would have cost about 5 sets of points. Buy the way I just filed the points I had and they are working just fine...so far! Ken

I think they both have their good and bad points. I have a briggs on 2 of my push mowers and my Squire and a Kohler on my Deere. The Kohler blew a rod and there is a 3 inch round hole in the side of it, but it still starts and hardly has a miss. Guess the real difference is how well you take care of what you have.

Vince, did you fix the rod exit hole by JB welding a chrome handle in it?:D:D The cast iron Briggs were most common if not exclusive in the older tractors.