Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs lost spark!

Hi All I have a problem. I set up the old briggs with all new plug, points, condenser. I got a nice blue spark, so I installed the plug stared the engine and ran for 3to 5 min and died. now no spark at all. What did I do wrong? Or is it like jeff said earlier mite had some crud on the points? Any and all responses will be most appresated. tp

Try to look down spark plug wire to coil. I've seen cases where mice have chewed through insulation on wire and ruined coil[major job-eng has to come out]Because you said it ran for a few mins..that might be your problem. Good luck! dlc

Dave's got a good point so after or before I would recheck the piont cap again or maybe a wire came off the condensor conector. Good luck-jackl

Yes maybe I missed something on rebuild, I did had a huge nest in there, but I will one more time recheck point gap for 100% sure before I pull the motor. Thanks all. tp

Most common failure with this symptom is a sheared flywheel key. With points no spark, with electronic good spark, but out of time. Hope this helps, good luck. We see this in our shop quite a bit.

Al

The flywheel is pressure fit on to the shaft and is not held in place by the key, the key is only for alignment. If the flywheel is not tightened to the proper torque it can rotate on the shaft which will shear the key. The sheared key will be the most obvious indication that the flywheel has rotated on the shaft. Proper flywheel torque on the cast-iron Briggs is 144 foot pounds. You should also check the magneto air gap (.010-.014). Tim

Yes I rechecked the points,even used a dail indacater to make sure I set them at the highest point. At last no luck checked timing .ok there, set mag air gap to .012" .... Still no luck. I'am going to check flywheel and see if it moved next. Is it possible the armature is no good ??? And yes check wires and spark plug wire too... I'am in it deep and need help PLEASE.

Yes, it is possible that the mag coil is shorted or open. I had to replace one once and if I remember it was not cheap. If you have an automobile coil you could hook it up and see if that would give you spark. If so the magneto is probably bad. If you don't want to buy a new magneto just leave the auto coil on, it will run fine that way.

tim thanks for the advice, but I pulled the flywheel and could not beleive my eyes, the key look like it was cut in half. Old dumb me, A three pact of flywheel keys for a $1.95 and I'am back in business, hard to beleive I overlooked the easiest thing like that. And yes this time I toquece the nut on ... I hope that someone out there reads this and thinks," well maybe I should see if The key is sheered?" duh. thanks again one day I'll learn to think before I jump. I hope. tp