Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

Front PTO removal

Les
I am trying to take a front PTO off of a 16 horse Briggs. I have most of it off except for the back clutch plate. What is the recomended way of removing it? Gear puller? I am afraid to heat it as I might damage the seals on the engine. Please advise. Also, will this PTO mount on a Kohler engine? Thanks in advance

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Bill & Jeff, I'm trying to make a deal with Les on the PTO. Your opinions differ as to whether the PTO from a B&S will fit a Kohler. Bill raises an interesting issue regarding the Kohler having a larger diameter crank. My Kohler manual states the K301 crank diameter to be 1.5745" (which I suppose is 40mm). However, the crank diameter of the Kohler in my 7012H (1690352) measures 1". Since I used a caliper for the measurement, not a micrometer, I guess it could be 25mm. Bill's belief is supported by the Kohler manual, however Jeff's belief is supported by what my crank measures. I don't know what to think. Does the B&S in a 7016H have a 1" diameter crank? My Kohler is a K301S - Spec: 47642d - Serial: 91058. Herb.......

Les
I just happen to have a Kohler K301 out of a 912 Allis. This morning I took the spacer and the back clutch plate from the front PTO and it slipped right on the front shaft of the Kohler. By the way, I did get it off with the gear puller, it just needed a little more persuasion than I thought that it should have. Thanks again Jeff!