Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front hubs

dewayne

Hy members, Does anyone know of any front hubs with bolt on wheels that will fit a 917H. Also a narrower wheel that I can put rib tires on? dewayne

Larry, I'm not real sure what your asking (bolt on hubs). But here is a link you might find handy. [url]http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/photo.html[/url]

The early 70's Heavy MTD tractors used the 16x6.50x8 front wheels with bolt on wheels and hubs. My son swapped a pair onto his B-112.

I have been told that there are 3/4" hubs/spindles avaialable, that are usually used on trailers. However, I have never been able to find them. If you do find hubs that will fit on the 3/4" spindles of our tractors, please let us all know! Tom

Other than not messing with the bearings, to change tire, what is the advantage of this upgrade? Will these hubs handle more weight? I guess I don't get how? Elon

I just used a set of the narrow rims from a 710 to put tri ribs on my 716H. Unless you plan to change wheels often, I don't see the need for lug bolts on the front wheels. You can probably use trailer hubs that have one inch spindles and shim them with a bushing. I know they make narrow 8 inch wheels for the 4 lug hubs. I have a set of them.

HI Trailer hubs for 3/4" axles are fairly common, the only problem is they may be to wide for the spindles to reach through. Might have to throw them in a lathe and bore them deeper for the bearing cups and then cut the edges off. Probably will have to put a collar on the spindle for the seal to run on and to space the cup out. Al Eden

Somebody here did a similar comversion about a year or so ago. Sure wish I could remember who it was. I'll try to look it up a little later.

well it wasjust an idea I was tossing around my head. I hope I don't pull the wheels very often,. I'll try to find a set of the 4x4x4.80 wheels though. thanks dewayne